SteamOS/Ubuntu 15.04: permanent freezing during ground combat

I just started playing on Steam/Ubuntu 15.04. I was able to get through my first ground combat mission, but I've had 3 or 4 attempts at my second mission interrupted by the screen freezing. I end up powering down my laptop because no input is working.

I haven't been able to notice any particular pattern to when it freezes, but it's anywhere from 5-20 minutes into the mission. I've also tried loading from an earlier save to try a different mission but still no luck.

I'm not opted into the Beta builds or anything, so I'm playing with whatever the regular latest version on Steam for Linux is.

Does anyone know if there are particular graphical or audio settings that might be more reliable on Linux? Or any other ideas about how to move forward?

Thanks for supporting Linux. I was an Early Access supporter years ago and just from the little I've played you've really refined the combat -- not an easy task! And now that it's on Linux I can play on my laptop in bed, which means I'm much more likely to make some progress.