"Leg-Up" & Basic-Combat-Maneuvers [German: Räuberleiter] Idea for CE

FiesesAlien

Hey.

Xenonauts are the Elite of the Elite? They are trained to withstand enemy forces from an unknown origin? Well, if you get to those Armors they are possible to fly buuuuttt.... whats with basic-maneuvers?

One is helping another to climb up to the first floor? Or even breaking the windows before going/shooting through? Or, seeing a hip-height obstacle not as a 50% Miss-Chance for a Sniper-Shot on a standing enemy? I mean, sure... the game could not do everything but you should really think about basic-combat-maneuvers.

Leg-Up and bring someone up or even climb down at some point (Those X-Com Soldiers in the 'Graphics'-Game, hell, yeah, that what i call movement! Of course they where also pretty limited.) or mount your gun to stabilize the shot, etc. etc. etc.

If someone could bring this into the Community Edition (or even in a Mod? Maybe move the Thread?) it would be a tactical improvement! I mean, that would be the first time such classic maneuvers would be in a game (beside from ArmA 3).

Yeah, the game is pretty cool at the very moment but its missing so much things i always think about i would do, and i wasnt even in a elite-unit, just basic soldier (German Forces at least KRK ^^, not the American Marine). Would be great!

Stay crunchy.

We can blame the game engine för all limitations. Even with that kind of engine Chris created this game and so mod able.

You can always want to have more options movements ideas but xenonauts made as a Xcom like game and they wanted to stick with that. They added many great things without killing the soul of it. Xcom eu killed that soul when they try to revive it.

I remeber this games development days and I didn't give so much chance to succeed to be honest. But they did it.. they maybe can add much more things but then it would lose the soul and became another game.

Trying to add some maneuvers can destroy already shaking game engine. But u can imagine things like u add a 3. Aiming to all weapons with high tu high accuracy as "mounted fire" .

Yea, för a Soldat every game ist sehr too simple I guess ;D

I honestly am not sure if I would like to manage all those details.

There was a russian game btw named Man of War (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men_of_War) extremely complicated to such an extent that I couldnt even refrain myself from sleeping during first mission. Not to mention game was also very hard so you know possibility to play every single mission over and over again was included (and for free!).

If you want "basic manoeuvres" then you have to have the appropriate animations that go with them. It would look very silly for a solider to do something like rest a rifle on a window ledge without having the appropriate "rest rifle" animation, or for a solider to give another solider a leg up without the appropriate animation. As there are no animations for these "basic manoeuvres" (and believe me, I should know) these have to be made. If you can provide the appropriate animations, then your desires will have much stronger legs than they do now.

As Max_Caine says (and that's a pretty big obstacle). Moreover, such features would need some kind of justification, I don't see much point in adding new movement abilities just for the sake of adding them (for example, I don't think there would be many practical uses for the leg up).

I might consider some kind of stabilizing weapon feature, that might even do without any animations, and would have clear trade-offs, so that one might be worth the effort.

Heyho!

Well, i have had so many leg-up situations: Over Walls, Fences, to the first floor for the Sniper to gain sight-advantage etc. Yeah, its "soul" to be a "XCom"-Game is cool but we are in a time where something new should be tried i think :)

Clearly, making animations is big obstacle, but at some point or even for testing purpose it would do a simple "he just did it"-text would be absolute okay. A leg-up would give a clearly extreme advantage (easy scouting without taking to much risk being suddenly sorrounded by 2 aliens without TU left to retreat). Yeah, in the Desert a leg-up would be useless but most of the time iam in Industry-Levels, City-Levels, Farm and Middle-Eastern-Citys.

Sometimes i wish there would be something like binoculars giving you more sight-range so that you dont need to advance forward and producing situations that would be clearly avoidable (is this even a word?)

The "More TU for better Aim" is cleary not a bolster-up or taking advantage of your cover etc. Its just 'take your time and aim' and the advantage is more then often very marginal i think. You can land with nearly every weapons absolute perfect single shots on optimal ranges about up to 150 metres. Even firing in burst keeps your field of fire pretty accurate (we talk here about a radius about 5cm) or maybe i was just a good shooter ^^

Xenonauts is still a pretty good game, but the random-things are so extreme inpredictable that its often more russian-roulette then well trained elites :)

Edit:

I also had a level with those crash barriers completely closed so my shield-guys cannot advance ^^ I needed to shoot those pesky barriers down to advance further in the level ^^ That was annoying ^^

Happy New Year and stay crunchy.

If you want more sight range you can mod this very easily. Others have, and it has produced a radically different game for those people as a result. Remember to mod the alien's sight range as well to match the update in human sight or the game will be boring (as other have found out). If you want less randomness in your game, you can mod that as well just as easily. Making new things is a difficult process and arguing they should be made because the game is too random when the game itself can be made less random for no cost is not a good argument to make.

Heyho.

I dont want permanent more sight-range, i just want a Item that gives, at TU-Costs give more Sight as long as Equipped or something like that. Iam not good at modding stuff but i will try to see if i maybe can teach me how to use all the files from Xenonauts.

How could the 'random'-moments be modded out 'easy'? That would be interesting to know.

The only thing i would have in the vanilla-version where just a few more basic-maneuvers and/or Items:

- Binoculars

- leg-up

- better use of cover-system

But at the moment i use a Mod and that one is pretty fun though.

Have a nice day :) Stay crunchy.