"Hey Sarge, I need a new Timmy".

bottleneck situations: entering a crashed spaceship

Currently i am trying to finish a fight on the ground with the hostile Crew of a "SMALL" Scout vessel.

This proves very frustrating for me, because it seems i cannot seem to open the Scout ships entrance

without having my half squad killed.

This is of course my fault too (since i have my squad waiting just on the outside),but thats not the Problem.

The f.... Problems is; that everyone who tries to open the door, dies by the Hands of These 6 Aliens waiting in cover

just in that small room.

If i am VERY lucky, i manage to kill one Alien after Timmy opened the door.

Waiting for an Alien to come out to Play, proves to be even worse

At the beginning my round, the ships gate has been locked up again.

"Hey Sarge, I Need a new Timmy".

----------------------------------

Well, for someone like me who tries to NOT lose anyone to the Alien menace, this proves very frustrating.

I am not sure about the old XCom titles but with the newest one, i was able to open hostile doors/gate while standing

to the sides of them.

Also i think the door/gates stayed open then, allowing my squad to shoot anyone/anything from a relative safety.

Could you please do something about this please ?

regards

Eskrador

First off, if you are playing xenonauts and expecting to win the campaign without losing a single soldier. You're going to have a bad time. Even on the easiest difficulty s**t happens, grenades are fumbled, friendlies get in the way of incoming fire, rockets miss, aliens get a lucky shot with a plasma pistol. The game that xenonauts was based off of was famous for it's meatgrinder battles where rookies would die by the dozens, and only the best or the luckiest would survive and turn into veterans, who were one man army rambos that could take on an entire battleship by themselves and win.

If however, you are trying to minimize casualties while assaulting a fortified choke point (a very reasonable desire), there are multiple pieces of advice I can give you.

1. Don't stack on the door, 1 grenade and it's all over.

2. If you suspect aliens might be directly behind the door, use explosives. This kills the alien and opens the door for you so you don't have to risk a trooper.

3. Blast the door open with guns (see above tip).

4. Once the door is open use smoke grenades and suppressive fire to give cover to any breachers moving in. If you just run your men into the enemies waiting guns they are just going to get slaughtered.

5. Don't be afraid to be aggressive. Moving directly adjacent to a piece of cover an alien is using will negate his cover bonus. Put a point blank shot into its skull and now you have a piece of cover against his alien buddies further into the ship.

6. Flashbangs are good for suppressing clumped together aliens hiding behind cover.

Edited by legit1337

Try suppressing the aliens within the UFO. If an enemy is suppressed, they can't reaction fire. Reaction fire is basically Xenonaut's overwatch, and can trigger on almost everything you do. You can suppress an enemy by shooting a lot at him, especially with the machine gun, or using a flashbang grenade. A suppressed enemy also has less TUs, and probably won't be able to burst out of the ship and kill you.

You can open and close doors by right clicking on them, which will save lives.

You can also fire over crouched adjacent soldiers. So, you can have a machine gunner crouch behind a shield. The shield crouches and opens the door, the machine gunner fires, and the shield closes the door afterward. Don't forget to crouch your soldiers and make sure they are actually beside each other and not two tiles away.