Customizable initial base layout

Teiwaz

In just about every XCom-like game I've played, when you create a new base, it has a preset default layout. A terrible preset default layout with alien accessible hangars scattered all over the place, connected to everything else without chokepoints. If you want to specify a layout for defensive or aesthetic purposes, you're forced to destroy and rebuild rooms, which seems silly if you just built the base.

It'd be nice if we had the option to define our own base layouts right off the bat. (Just give us the default rooms with no cost or building time.)

Also, it would be nice if we could specify connections between facilities within the base, rather than having them automatically connect to all adjacent rooms. All rooms would still have to be connected, of course.

Still not quite sure how the combat layout is going to be done. Might be rooms stuck to rooms, rooms surrounded by corridors, we don't know. Specifying connects might be annoying to players though, since for it to work it'd have to ask you every time you built something (or delete something).

Reasonably sure that Chris said we could design our initial bases (either as a base function or something added in polishing), but the default base design should be pretty defensible.

Plus aliens might not always enter from the hangars. That's the other big thing. I imagine we will probably add a feature to let players customise their original base layout if they want.

Connects, not so much. I think that would be a step towards needless complexity :)

Absolutely! First step in any x-com game was to start building duplicate rooms so I can destroy the existing ones on the default base to configure it so it works… It would make sense to be able to customize the first base at the same time your choose location or the option to.

I think the initial base layout is fine, its a big hassle to have to build a base insides from scratch and if that if your first base (makes it extra worst for new players as well how have no idea what they are doing).

And Chris mentioned that the aliens dont just appear in the hangar anymore, so there is no need to optimize your base to have all your hangars attached and only have 1 square attached to the hangers. :P

I believe it works with the steam version, the steam version is just a dosbox copy anyway and what ufo extender does is use the files needed from that version and runs it's own exe. (If you didn't know, the steam version doesn't actually have any kind of DRM in it and you can just run it freely any way you want)

Not sure how that goes with their usage policy though... And I believe that UFO Extender does so you don't have to use dosbox to run the game.

I have the Steam version and it works just fine with it. HOWEVER, it doesn't allow you to start Xcom through Steam, since it kind of works like a wrapper around it. So you start Extender, and it starts Xcom. It has the drawback of no Steam Community integration or tracking of game time.

I use it for my LP as well.

EDIT: DERP! I should check for new pages before replying.