Build V9.2 is released on Desura. This is mostly a stability / usability fix build, though it does have some new features:

New features:

- There's a new air combat GUI that has been (mostly) implemented. We still need to do a few more tweaks on it, both in terms of visual and code issues, but it's nearly done. Key new features are: spanky new visuals, a throttle control that allows you to speed up / slow down aircraft, tooltips and more visual feedback on which weapons are ready to fire and when.

- We've added a Toggle Roof button on the ground combat UI which you can use to display buildings at ground level, which should be useful if your soldiers are behind a wall and you can't see that. We'll look at getting this turning on and off automatically but you'll have to do it manually for now.

- You can now manufacture the MiG-32 once it has been researched. You need an empty hangar slot to do this.

- You can move soldiers, vehicles and aircraft from base to base using the new "Relocate" button on the Soldier / Vehicle / Aircraft Equip screens.

- UFOs should now contain the correct research materials for you to be able to construct laser weapons and wolf armour again.

- Friendly AI soldiers will now appear on the Industrial tileset. They don't do anything yet. We'll plug them into the AI for the next update.

Bugfixes:

- The crash in June has been fixed up.

For the remaining bugs, I think we've fixed quite a few but I don't actually know - I'll get Matthew to give me an update next week on what should be fixed. Essentially he's doing crunch in his real job at the moment so he's not about, and he compiles the changelog as far as bugs are concerned. I think this should be much more playable than before though.

It'll be worth reading this post on what our plans are for the next couple of weeks. Should be exciting times for the project!

I am made up Chris. This is the first time I have been able to have a full play session without it freezing or crashing. :D

Now that I seem to have got past the constant crashing I can see how good this game really is. I have found a few tiny bugs but nothing anywhere near game breaking.

Anyway, it has renewed my interest in Xenonauts and I am really looking forward to my next sit down and kill aliens session.

Congrats, this could be the best release to date, I love the new stuff especially the new icons on the interceptor display.

I play some time and now all become feel like a war, not just testing or shooting range. And this significant more playable, i mean all this wrong animation stucks in prevous relises - i didn't saw any. Good work.

Edited by zzz

Awesome! Was hoping this build was going to be released. Now hopefully i can compile a new video my viewers can really sink their teeth into! Keep it up Chris and Everyone at Goldhawk!

I been watching all your Xenonaut videos. I was like "Hey, I recognise PDTV, its that dude!".

Youtube and streaming are the best ways of open advertisement for a game, especially streaming. Cant wait for the new videos PD :)

Kai.

forgive me if I am asking a stupid question, but is there a way to patch the game without Desura besides re-downloading the whole .zip? i know you guys probably don't need more build distribution trouble, but my internets is really slow... like to the point where a usb flash drive shipped by ups would be a faster method of data transfer.

forgive me if I am asking a stupid question, but is there a way to patch the game without Desura besides re-downloading the whole .zip? i know you guys probably don't need more build distribution trouble, but my internets is really slow... like to the point where a usb flash drive shipped by ups would be a faster method of data transfer.

I'm afraid not.

No - that's the whole point of the Desura updater. It means you don't have to download all that stuff every time we make a relatively small patch. If you don't want to use that then that's fine but the other method has disadvantages too.

yay a definite step back in the right direction I actually made it to the end of a ground cobat without crashing for the first time since V8.2 great to see.

Great isn't it? To be able to actually play game for the first time is amazing. :)

I have played a load of missions now without one crash. I am very happy about this, but the missions I have played are all the same.

Scout top left of map, run tank up, kill alien, mission end.

Question: Is there just the one mission or more later on in the game?

I have found and engaged fighters, but it seems that you can only destroy them.

Hey Moonie, I found the same thing. What you can do is open up the Xenonauts assets folder (which I'm hoping somebody else can post a link to for you, as I'm at work at the minute so I can't check) and find the list of excel documents that relate to the different types of UFO missions.

Open the research mission one (again, I'm really sorry but I can't think of the full name at the moment) and decrease the chances of the light scout spawning and increase the chances of a regular scout spawning in it's place. You do this by editing the numbers in the right hand column. The light scout currently has a zero listed there, and I've found that by increasing that to 500 and decreasing the number listing for the regular scout, the light scout no longer appears in game.

This has improved the ground combat no end for me. The landing/crash zones are still the same every time, but the regular scout UFO has about 6 or 7 crew it seems, and these can crop up anywhere on the map, making the repeated ground combat much more enjoyable.

Sorry those instructions aren't the best, but I found this out just by browsing through the folders, so it's fairly straight forward when you have a look. It's strange though, as in previous versions the UFO did crash in different areas of the map and we had a farm tileset spawn. But both of these features seem to be missing from 9.2 for some reason. Hopefully they'll be patched back in soon.

Hope that helps!

Played about two hours last night and all I got were scout and fighter craft in the geoscape. Took down at least 10 space ships but there were never any crash sites to land too. It got late and I went to bed.

Should I have stated a new game after say five take ufo take downs?

Ah crap, I've left levelsetup.xml on, which is forcing every mission to be the Industrial tileset. That would explain a lot.

Also, re: the research mission numbers, the number on the right is actually the ticker score when the UFO starts appearing. If you bring down Scouts to 200 or 150 they'll completely replace Light Scouts on that mission at that point.

We'll do some balancing on the game this week, I think the light scouts are around for too much of the early game.

Yeah, we're being spoiled with updates at the minute!

Chris; just a couple of questions if you're able to help? First, you mention the levelsetup.xml being left on accidentally. Is this something we can access and turn off, or will we have to wait for a patch?

Secondly, I had a look through the AI file and noticed that some aliens run a defensive script which seems to mean they spend the entire game rooted to the spot, rotating occasionally. Are we able to make a change somewhere so that all enemy AI use the offensive script instead?

Thanks in advance!

Okay; so I moved the levelsetup.xml file out of the assets directory, loaded up the game, got a southern UFO shoot down and hey presto, it's the farm map!

Had a few turns, with a Sebillian moving, firing in it's own turn and performing reaction fire, so all seemed well. Then, I had the hidden movement screen crash. This is the first time I've had this issue since 9.2, but I'm hoping it was just coincidence. I'll check further in a little while.

Okay; so I moved the levelsetup.xml file out of the assets directory, loaded up the game, got a southern UFO shoot down and hey presto, it's the farm map!

Had a few turns, with a Sebillian moving, firing in it's own turn and performing reaction fire, so all seemed well. Then, I had the hidden movement screen crash. This is the first time I've had this issue since 9.2, but I'm hoping it was just coincidence. I'll check further in a little while.

So I just dump the levelsetup.xml from assets and I will get other missions, easy as that?