A few questions from a TFTD fan

Andrey

Hello Chris,

This is my first post and I have done my best to make sure that I have read the forum and make sure I don't ask questions that have been asked already.

I have played just one part of the XCOM series and this is XCOM Terror from the deep. To me, this is the greatest game ever. I started to play it when I was 14, I am now 29, I have a wife and a kid but every few months I spend a few weeks playing this game and when I reach T'leth, I stop playing for a few months and start again :). As most fans, I have been waiting for a proper new game (we all know there wasn't one so far) and a few days ago, I realized what you are building (I haven't checked for new releases since 2010) and I spent the last hours reading everything I could (previews, interviews with you, clips in youtube, the forum here).

I have a feeling the game will be amazing, I just want to ask why everything happens on the ground:) and there is no element of the underwater threat.

One last question, when I played the game (terror from the deep), I have always imagined that something like this may happen in the future (because you never know what may happen tomorrow) and this helped me use my imagination. I was a bit surprised that the actions of xenonauts take place in 1979. We know this didn't happen and I am asking myself wouldn't the fans feel better if the actions were taking place in the future and the guns are not old M16 and so on. I honestly hope this question will not sound disrespectful, I am currently super enthusiastic about what I saw and I am about to buy it and start having fun.

Once again, congratulations for what you have achieved so far. It's a lot better than any other xcom game that was made after 1996 :)

Edited by Andrey

Well I think it's refreshing to have it happen in the past really, it will have its own feel, it also fits the retro graphics style really well. And it hasn't been done a lot in other games I guess, so I think it's great they chose the cold war time area.

But if this game is successful I'm hoping on a TFTD-style future timeframe sequel :D. Also TFTD was my favorite by far from the 3 original X-COM games, so under water missions would be awesome as well ;)

I was a bit surprised that the actions of xenonauts take place in 1979. We know this didn't happen

Do we though? Do we really know this didn't happen? Were you there? Did you see?

erm ... sorry ... personally don't really see any need for this to be in a future setting. As Leto said, a past setting hasn't really been done before, so it is a refreshing change to the seeming obsession of game devs to make sci-fi games in the future - there is no need for it with a game like this one

About the underwater thing - Terror From the Deep was basically just a reskin of UFO: Enemy Unknown set underwater, so we went with the original as that's the game that everyone praises the most. How you feel about TFTD is how I feel about UFO:EU so I guess you know what I mean :) We didn't mix the on-land and in-sea elements together because it would have meant a lot more coding and art work and I don't think it'd add much to the game really.

We set in 1979 because it makes the world more recognisable. In the original X-Com, on a terror mission I never felt that bothered by what happened to the places I fought in because they didn't seem real and didn't look familiar. I thought it'd be very cool to be fighting in familiar real-world style battlefields with advanced armour and alien weapons, so we went with that. Plus it makes the game a lot more distinctive - every other X-Com remake has been set in the future so we thought we'd be a bit different here.

Thanks Chris,

You are doing something great and a lot of UFO fans are keeping their fingers crossed :)

I would like to wish you all the best. I hope to see a game that will attract a lot of attention not only among the older fans, but the ones that are teenagers nowadays...

Good luck mate,

Regards,

Andrey