Common Bugs & Fixes in Xenonauts!

This thread contains a number of frequently occurring bugs and the solutions to them. Please have a look through it before posting up your game bugs!

Before you attempt any of these solutions, please ensure that your game has been downloaded correctly! If you are in Steam, please right-click on Xenonauts, go to Properties >>> Local Files tab >>> Verify Integrity of Game Cache. This will check all the game files and see if you are missing any files.

Common Bugs:

• 1) Xenonauts will not download on Steam!
  • 2) Xenonauts will not start up! It closes immediately without giving me an error!
  • 3) I don't get any resolution choices in the launcher resolution selection dropdown!
  • 4) Xenonauts crashes as soon as I press "Play Game" on the launcher!
  • 5) The game crashes when I'm loading up the ground combat!
  • 6) I sometimes get massive slowdown in the ground combat!
  • 7) Combat maps are not displaying correctly - there are black spaces / weird white tiles in the combat!
  • 8) Steam says I'm still playing Xenonauts even once I've closed the game!
  • 9) I have no sound at all in Xenonauts! (usually tied to Razer headphones)
  • 10) Mac version - I have blurred, misaligned text!
  • 11) Mac version - Xenonauts keeps crashing during / failing to load the ground combat!

1) Xenonauts will not download on Steam:

This is not actually an issue with Xenonauts, it is an issue with the Steam servers. Developers simply upload their game to Steam and then Steam handles the actual downloads, so we have no control over this issue and can't do anything to fix it. This is why it is a little frustrating that Steam keep referring people with this issue to us when they ask for tech support!

If you are able to download other games from Steam but not Xenonauts, the only known solution is to change your download servers on Steam to that of another country and then to restart Steam. This has solved the problem for a lot of people, though there does not appear to be any geographical link - an American told me that he fixed it by using the Cambodian servers once.

The game often just starts downloading randomly using the normal servers within 24-48 hours of purchase, too. So if you've tried a few servers from other countries and have waited more than 48 hours since having bought the game, please send me a mail at chris@xenonauts.com and I'll give you a key for an alternate download service so you can at least play the game!

2) Xenonauts closes immediately without giving me an error!

This bug is happening if you try to load up Xenonauts and the game launcher does not appear (be patient as it sometimes takes 30 seconds to a minute to actually appear), or it appears and immediately closes without giving you an error.

Firstly, please try disabling any anti-virus software you may have installed on your machine and then try running the game again.

Secondly, please try switching to our Compatibility branch and see if that works any better for you. The instructions on how to do so are here:http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/12716-Xenonauts-Steam-Branches

If this does not help, the cause is often GvOsd.dll, which is part of the Gigabyte OC Guru II Utility that sometimes comes with people's motherboards. This .dll makes it impossible to play games with launchers, such as Xenonauts, Diablo 3 or Witcher II etc. If you do have this installed, please uninstall it and reboot your PC.

3) I don't get any resolution choices in the launcher resolution selection dropdown!

The game engine draws the resolution choices in the dropdown box directly from your graphics card - this is why the game does not show resolutions larger than your monitor can handle, and so forth. If there are no resolution choices shown then there is an issue with your graphics card.

This occurs most frequently in laptops with integrated graphics, where the owner may never have installed the drivers for the graphics chip. Whatever type of computer you may have, please try reinstalling / updating your graphics card drivers. This will usually fix the issue.

If your computer has both integrated graphics and a graphics card, please try to force use of the graphics card rather than the integrated graphics on your CPU.

4) Xenonauts crashes as soon as I press "Play Game" on the launcher!

This happens most frequently because of missing game files. Please validate your game files to ensure you are not missing any, and also try disabling any anti-virus software you may have enabled.

If this does not work, then please go to the game directory and manually delete your game files (i.e. not through Steam) and then reinstall the game. This will ensure you've not got any extra files floating around in your game directory that are causing issues.

Next, if you are experiencing these crashes and playing on Windows 8 or later, you may find that forcing Windows 7 Compatibility Mode will work. Click the grey button below for instructions on how to do this if you do not know how to access this.

- Search for "Run programs made for previous versions of Windows" (press the windows key on your keyboard, or the windows logo on the bottom-left of the desktop, and type that without the quotes)

- The "Program Compatibility Troubleshooter" will open, click on Next

- Pick the first entry of the list, which is "Not listed", and click on Next

- It will now ask you for the program location, now click on Browse, and look for the Xenonauts.exe file. If your Steam is installed in its default location, that should be:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Xenonauts\Xenonauts.exe

(If you run a 32-bit version of Windows 8, there will not be a (x86) after Program Files

- Click on Next

- Click on "Try recommended settings"

- Click on "Test the program..."

- The Xenonauts launcher will now start, and clicking on Play Xenonauts should now start without crashing

- Celebrate

- Quit the game

- Back to the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter, click on Next

- Click on "Yes, save these settings for this program"

- Click on Close

Finally, if none of the above has worked, please try switching to our Compatibility branch and see if that works any better for you. The instructions on how to do so are here:http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/12716-Xenonauts-Steam-Branches

If you are still getting crashes after all that, please switch back to the default branch and post up a bug report.

5) The game crashes when I'm loading up the ground combat!

For some people, the game frequently crashes when the ground combat is loading up. There are several reasons why this could be happening:

1) Please check you have all the files by validating your files using the instructions at the top of the thread. Please also make sure you're testing an unmodified game; mods can quite often break the ground combat loading process if they have errors in them.

2) If possible, please install Xenonauts on your main drive (C:/), as the temporary files the engine creates to manage the tiles / sprites can cause issues on some systems if they are not on the main drive (we'd fix this if we could). The game files have no DRM protection, so you can just copy them across from the Steam download folder to a new home and the game will run fine if you start up Xenonauts.exe.

3) This may be a performance issue tied to the use of our tile atlas and sprite archiving systems. Please try switching to our Compatibility branch, as that does not use either of those systems so may cause less strain on low-end machines. The instructions on how to do so are here:http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/12716-Xenonauts-Steam-Branches

6) I sometimes get massive slowdown in the ground combat!

People sometimes experience issues in the ground combat where the combat slows to a crawl. They get only a few frames per second in some places, but the rest of the mission is fine.

This is a memory issue with our tile atlases that affects some computers. Removing the tile atlases will slow load times but should correct the slowdowns; please switch to our Compatibility branch as this does not use them. The instructions on how to do so are here:http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/12716-Xenonauts-Steam-Branches

7) Combat maps are not displaying correctly - there are black spaces / weird white tiles in the combat!

This is actually two separate problems with different solutions:

If you have black areas that your troops cannot enter in the ground combat then you are having map creation issues. This is usually caused by unofficial maps like community map packs. To fix this, please go into your game directory and delete the folder /assets/maps/ and then revalidate your files using the instructions at the top of the page. Any further combat missions should then not suffer from those problems (but the existing map will not be fixed).

If you are getting white squares or triangles in the ground combat, you are suffering from display issues. Please ensure you have validated your game files using the instructions at the top of this thread.

If this does not correct the issue, it is likely to be a memory issue with our tile atlases. Removing the tile atlases will slow load times but should correct the slowdowns; please switch to our Compatibility branch as this does not use them. The instructions on how to do so are here:http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/12716-Xenonauts-Steam-Branches

This should cause your white tiles to disappear.

8) Steam says I'm still playing Xenonauts even once I've closed the game!

Sometimes people will exit Xenonauts and then find that Steam believes they are still playing the game. This is a problem if they want to boot the game up again as Steam thinks it is already running, forcing them to log out of Steam and log back in again before they can do so.

This is almost always caused by PDF readers - if you open the game manual or any of the PDF extras in the launcher, they are spawned as "children" windows of the main game (this also applies if you load up the game editors through the launcher too). Steam will only consider the game closed when you have closed both the standard game AND all of the associated PDF reader programs you have opened.

9) I have no sound at all in Xenonauts! (usually tied to Razer headphones)

A small number of people have reported issues with (a lack of) sound in Xenonauts, which is usually tied to Razer headphone / speaker hardware. We're not sure what causes this and sadly it's a low-level engine function we're not able to alter even if we did, but a user did apparently find a workaround.

Sound can apparently be restored if you start the game with sound playing from your speakers, but then plug in your headphones afterwards. The thread in which the user posted can be found here: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/11486-1-07-HF-Complete-silence-no-sound-at-all

10) Mac version - I have blurred, misaligned text!

Xenonauts on Mac sometimes suffers from blurred, misaligned text. This is not the same as the text being small and hard to read on smaller screen resolutions; it is an issue where the text is slightly warped and is difficult to read even at 1920x1080px and above.

This is a problem with the WINE wrapper used to allow Xenonauts to run on OSX. The newer versions of OSX sometimes do not work properly with the more up-to-date versions of WINE, which can cause this issue.

Firstly, please try switching to our Compatibility branch and loading the Xenonauts_compatibility.zip folder (or getting this .zip directly from your vendor if you do not use Steam). The instructions on how to do so are here:http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/12716-Xenonauts-Steam-Branches

Secondly, it may also be fixed by using an older version of WINE - it is known that WINE V1.2.3 sometimes fixes this issue for people, so if you are an advanced Mac user you may be able to use this version of WINE to play the game.

11) Mac version - Xenonauts keeps crashing during / failing to load ground combat!

Sometimes the Mac version of the game will crash in ground combat repeatedly. Frequently you will be able to play several turns of the combat, then it will crash. If you load a save game, you can play a few more turns and then it will crash again.

This is a memory issue caused by the tile atlases in the game filling up the graphics card on the Mac and causing WINE to crash. It can be fixed by removing the tile atlases, although this will slow load times somewhat.

To do this, please switch to our Compatibility branch as this does not use tile atlases. The instructions on how to do so are here:http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/12716-Xenonauts-Steam-Branches

• 9 years later...