Maybe I'll just make this a thread for various newb questions.

I've cleared out a few alien bases now. I'm wondering though, unlike the terror missions where after a certain period of time it will show me where all the aliens are. I'm not really sure how I can take advantage of the bases sensors as indicated by the mission briefing. What room do I need to take to be able to get the sensor scan? Is it the one with the little sensor module I researched? I seem to have left a guy in there and not gotten anything. Is it the command center?

Well, I cleared the command room but there's still someone left somewhere, hidden moves all the time. I am controlling the command room yet I can not see the map, stuck on that mission for quite some time now, no clue what to do. Small alien base, my first one. What to do or what am I doing wrong, thanks!

I think that clearing the command room reveals the map but does not remove the fog of war, so you still have to find the remaining alien(s). Since the map is now revealed it may show rooms you have not actually cleared yet.