[v1.5/X:CE] Fire in the Hole! Destructible UFO Hulls (v1.3.3)

kabill

Hey kabill, any chance you could do something (with llunak?) to the XCE roof removal issue that is tied to your enchanted crash sites and multi leveled ufos? I've made placeholder custom maps for cruisers, carriers and battleships with no smoke and fire inside for my personal use and it seems to fix the problem, but it would be nice to have an "official" fix to the issue. :)

Edited by Skitso

Yeah, the issue was introduced when llunak made the latest improvements on how the roof removal system worked. It's great otherwise, but on multi leveled ufos (cruiser, carrier, battleship), the system breaks when enchanted crash sites is in use, sometimes displaying the ufo roof even when your units are inside. Removing the smoke/fire from the ufo submaps fixes the issue.

Edited by Skitso

Might have to do some experimenting to see, then. Thinking about where I've had issues with upper floors before, it wouldn't surprise me if it's caused by standing above tiles with fire or smoke on them (certainly that would be a good explanation for problems I've seen before).

I'm not sure what a good fix for that would be, though. I suspect it would take me too long to find and resolve the issue in code, even if I had the skill to do so. On the other hand, there's the possibility of removing all of the hand-placed smoke and fire and increasing the use of power core explosions now that llunak has fixed the issue with fire persisting outside of LoS and the externalised power core explosion variables I added. So assuming the bug doesn't also appear with real smoke and fire that could be a solution (although it might be a time-intensive overhaul).

• 6 months later...

I don't know. I seem to remember Magnum-nauts making some changes in relation to UFO crash sites and resources so these will be overwritten if you use FitH. That doesn't mean they won't work at all, but it is possible it won't lead to the bes of experiences.

• 2 weeks later...

After installing this mod, it seems that UFO front gates are taking at least 2, sometimes 4 rocket or C4 charges to blow open, when 1 did the job before unless I'm doing something different this run. Did this mod change the UFO main door HP?

How would I go about editing the configuration files so UFO doors blow up reliably from C4 and rockets again?

Edited by ledtim

The HP for doors have been increased, yes. To change this you would need to modify the UFO door spectres in the mod's 'tiles' folder. Open in a text editor and change the HP values. Equally, you could just delete them but avoid doing this for the Cruiser as you may delete something which needs to not be deleted.

• 1 month later...
In which of month breaching charge will be able to bought? IN the new game i cannot found it. (

It should be there from the start of game. If it's not under equipment then check possible mod conflict and make sure the mod is active.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/12/2016 at 4:52 AM, joedenver said:

hi kabill, could you plese reupload the alternative ufo interiors ? the old download url is not working anymore

Won't be able to look at this for a few days but will try and get it done no later than the end of next weekend.  If it's not up by then, poke me, because it means I forgot.

no problem, i got the map files from xenophobia mod (fire in the hole version is 1.3.3 so it still using the old alt maps)

btw i really like your old alt maps, i also like your current ufo maps and the vanilla and alt ufo maps variation from enhance crash site, i think it is a waste to replace one with another, so by follow your step by step i have success merging all maps, i try it and it really fun, the variety keep it fresh with 4 main maps type and 30 total variations for each ufo, like if the old fith alt maps show then its time for shotgunner and granadier, if vanilla or fith current maps then time for ranged fighter to shine, if unbreachable maps show then the breach hull can be used to blow up the ufo front door, etc

also, because the vanilla in your enhanced crash have 5 variants each and fith maps have 10 variants, i double copy and renaming the vanilla maps so now each main map type have the same chance 25% to be picked by the game.. do you think it will have problem later? also other than the map files, do i need to copy and rename other files? im not installing the enhanced crash mod, i only copy and rename the map files. I uploaded the fith mod map folder here (without renaming are the current fith maps, with pre are previous alt fith maps, with underscore are vanilla maps from enchanced crash, finally the files with cpy name are the maps i copied again from enhanced crash)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xkpjxplzcdkk41p/maps.zip

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm using this on top of the latest version of XCE (0.34.3), and made the modifications to the gameconfig.xml file as you suggested for compatibility (though it's just about reactor damage).

what I am seeing is that everything appears to be working right, but I get a LOT of animation stuttering on maps using this.  whenever anything moves, it stutters.  even civilians stutter while they are crouching in fear.

any idea why?  no doubt it is this mod, as I never saw this behavior before I installed it.

edit:

false alarm.  turns out it WAS just the specific map causing problems, I just happened to get it twice in a row.

other maps are not showing this stuttering behavior, with or without your mod.

edit2:

actually, it's a combination of map type, and the number of troopers you bring wearing sentinel armor.   the complicated LOS on some maps gets really intensive to calculate when you have 10 guys all running around with 360 vision.

If I keep the number of sentinel armors on a map to around 4 or 5, the problem is noticeably less.   had nothing to do with this mod at all, just to be clear.

Edited by Ichthyic

I've had good luck with this so far, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to breach roof tiles on the battleship.

I'm even using the xenopedia assault map as a guide, but most of the time, the destroyable roof tiles do not highlight, and even if I place a charge in the area marked by the assault maps, I get no tiles destroyed.

since they don't highlight properly, does someone have a screenshot of *exactly* where to place a charge for battleship roof entry?

oh, also, i can see the highlight tile for the next deck down (again, roof access but next level down) but again, the charge does not breach the roof.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...