Unofficial Community Mapping Patch

kabill

WORK IN PROGRESS

Something that we can do to make Xenonauts a little better is clean up any issues with map and tile assets. These will be little things - misaligned spectres, incorrect cover values - and so on that aren't important enough for GH to fix but which are perfectly easy to put right given the resources we have available.

Given that, I wanted to start a thread to start collecting issues together and to provide a platform for distributing the patch.

I have no particular attachment to leading this, so if someone wants to take it over that's more than fine with me. I'm also not particularly interested in doing all the work myself! So, ideally, the patch will be constructed out of contributions from anyone who feels inclined to do something.

While I'm looking to maintain a general patch here that fixes/improves things, I'm also going to upload as separate files some optional patches which aren't necessarily for everyone. I'm thinking, in particular, of the patch I've already put together which 'fixes' windows so that they provide some cover. Gameplay-wise this is much better, but aesthetically not as much as sometimes bullets will appear to pass through glass. I don't, then, want to package it with general fixes as not everyone will like it.

If you are a mapper you can contribute by fixing things and uploading them here. I'll collect the files and add them to a single file for downloading.

If you are not a mapper you can still contribute by highlighting issues which need to be corrected. Pictures are helpful. I'll keep a work-list which indicates things that have been flagged but need doing.

Downloads:

Window 'Fix' - Windows now provide cover, although glass will not automatically break as bullets pass through windowed tiles.

Install Instructions:

Extract the file to your Xenonauts folder. Job done. If you're using any custom mod-packs, I recommend installing these patches *after everything else*. It's probably a good idea to reinstall the patch after downloading new maps, too.

Work List:

- LoS from outside ground level to top level of landing ship seems to be a bit buggy. I probably know how to fix this.

- Roof tiles need adding to shipping contain props to make it possible to land on them. Also, check whether shipping containers can be completely destroyed and stop this if that's the case.

- (Possibly) convert as much of the UFO roofs as possible to ground tiles that can be landed and walked on.

- Set all ground tiles to 0 hp to avoid upper floor ground tiles from being destroyed (long, tedious job sadly).

- Ensure that any submap with props which cannot be bypassed on the uppermost floor has an additional clear level above it, to make sure it is always possible to fly onto and off of the roof.

Edited by kabill

Want to say, I used this and it works for windows(at least on the map I used), but there are still some objects it does not work for(example is the buss stops on city maps, they still give 0 cover(and I assume can be broken). Could this also be applied to the glass 'walls' in the alien bases?(which block 100% first shot, then 50% after, I find they should always block 50% as they are glass, and the AI actually gets really confused(and easily exploited) by this.(most notable in command rooms, where you can close in on the AI by staying behind the glass ad then breaking it in the turn you are ready to gun him down)

Edit: Also, thankyou. I very much appreciate this mod and it is a major improvement(even without the things I mentioned above being implemented) and pretty much the only time I have broken the 'I won't install mods for my insane run' rule.

Edited by Sapare

@Sapare: Dammit, yes. I remembered about those at one point yesterday, then forgot to actually change them when I came to do it. Also, I'd been thinking of doing the alien glass walls, too.

@Xitax: It's not so much the window as the wall it is attached to. Most of the windows in the game look like they have a couple of feet of wall beneath them which IRL you could hide behind. However, because of the way the game is programmed to allow bullets to break glass when they pass through, unbroken windows don't provide the cover that it looks like they should do.

As it happens, if I'd not had it pointed out to me that this was the case, I probably wouldn't have noticed. But now I'm aware of it, it's something I'm finding frustrating as I keep going to put my soldiers in cover at windows and then remember that this is pointless.

Update: I've updated the fix for windows to include bus shelters and the alien screens. I've just realised that I've not updated the alien screens in the alien base tileset, but that will have to wait.

@Mikhail: I've not tried the game out with the window change yet, so I don't know how it looks. I think having broken windows everywhere might look odd, though. I might contemplate removing the glass effect from the images, though, if it looks too silly with bullets passing through glass.

Contrarily, if you figure out the way to make doors closable, it'd be possible to make alien doors unclosable as well. :P

I tried to mod in this occasionally proposed suggestion, but couldn't find a way to do so. If you inform me how it could be controlled it'll be really appreciated.

When did this turn into discussion about how to close warehouse doors anyway? :cool:

Edited by ventuswings

• 3 weeks later...
Encountered this. The screenshot isn't mine, but taken off the Steam's community hub. Exact same problem I had encountered.

It's possible to walk into the printer and get stuck there, forever.

http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/36343045661089529/C0AA2A4578DFD49E101ED0177BDE141AF1DF3042/

Then it is an old needle printer that "nailed you down on the spot".

Sorry couldn't resist.

Can you shoot your feet and destroying the printer to get out?

Otherwise it is a bug.