Xtended Soldiers Backgrounds

Pinetree

No way it will work with the game's modding tools function ?!

I get a strange error saying: a mod named xtended soldiers 18_51 is already installed bla bla. uninstall, error writing assets/mods can't open file assets/mods etc. etc.

If I manually copy/add it to my game which already contains an adjusted/modded file such as strings.xml it prob. will have all sorts of unwanted Consequences.

I even asked Sathra (Little Mod V4) if he and the creator of this great mod couldn't merge ?!

Otherwise I have to manually edit every single difference to have it run sync.

BTW I have 22 year old Navy seal with experience in Vietnam living in 79 someone want to clarify what I am missing ?! :P

Edited by Tiesemans

No way it will work with the game's modding tools function ?!

I get a strange error saying: a mod named xtended soldiers 18_51 is already installed bla bla. uninstall, error writing assets/mods can't open file assets/mods etc. etc.

If I manually copy/add it to my game which already contains an adjusted/modded file such as strings.xml it prob. will have all sorts of unwanted Consequences.

I even asked Sathra (Little Mod V4) if he and the creator of this great mod couldn't merge ?!

Otherwise I have to manually edit every single difference to have it run sync.

I don't think the modding tools work properly yet. In the next version of this mod, I'm going to include 2 extra files called regiments.xml and experience.xml which are the slices of strings.xml that this mod uses. What this will enable you to do is copy and paste over the regiments and experiences that are in any version of strings.xml and let you use this mod with any other mod.

BTW I have 22 year old Navy seal with experience in Vietnam living in 79 someone want to clarify what I am missing ?! :P

I mentioned this in the first post of the thread: :)

The combat experiences are all historical wars from the 60's and 70's that a soldier's nation was involved in but you will get the occasional ahistorical result due to there being no relationship between a soldier's age and previous combat experience when they are generated. e.g you might get a 21 year old veteran of Vietnam.

A new version is here. I've added some more nations and will probably add some more for the next update. The new nations are:

North Korea

South Korea

Rhodesia

South Africa

Israel

Egypt

Sweden

Finland

Ireland

Brazil

China

Iceland

I've included 2 extra files called regiments.xml and experience.xml which are the slices of strings.xml that this mod uses. What this enables you to do is copy and paste over the regiments and experiences that are in any version of strings.xml and let you use this mod with any other mod.It will also allow you to update the mod in the future yourself if you wish :)

There are now 2 versions, one for the stable version and one for the experimental version. Download the one for your version.

Download Link for stable version:

Xtended Soldiers Stable 18.51.zip

Download Link for Experimental version:

Xtended Soldiers Experimental 19.zip

I've included 2 extra files called regiments.xml and experience.xml which are the slices of strings.xml that this mod uses. What this enables you to do is copy and paste over the regiments and experiences that are in any version of strings.xml and let you use this mod with any other mod.It will also allow you to update the mod in the future yourself if you wish :)

I use first object XML editor to edit the xml files but copy and pasting sperate slices into one xml ?!

How do I do that !?

Any tips ? I learn fast as a noob but someone need to be willing to explain it to me.

*edit*

I used wordpad to copy paste .. Just looked up where the lines start and end and the select making it totally blue and then selecting the slice totally and copy it in total over the selected area in the strings file.

I guess that then does it right ?!

Edited by Tiesemans

I used wordpad to copy paste .. Just looked up where the lines start and end and the select making it totally blue and then selecting the slice totally and copy it in total over the selected area in the strings file.

I guess that then does it right ?!

That's exactly how I do it. :)

So since you updated the mod...Is it compatible with my advanced(january 1980) let's play?

I'm not sure, It might be, I haven't changed any variable names so in theory it's possible .Back up your save and then try it out.

Also since you added some new files is it still the same...?(delete soldiernames,soldiernamesfemale and string and putting the newones in?)

Yes. :) The new files are already added to stings.xml, they are there to make it easier for you to incorporate Xtended Backgrounds into another mod if you wish to do so.

What about making a more detailed file of the soldiers aplying to Xenonauts, (incluiding their previous rank), and before recruting you could see this file and choose, this are elite soldiers joining our ranks, and we dont even bother to look at their files...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping to work on this again soon, so I'm going to add a few more nations. On the to-do list at the moment is:

Argentina

Chile

Yugoslavia

Switzerland

Taiwan

I'll try and add some more African nations but I'll have to some research to see what ones were stable enough to give soldiers to Project Xeno. I'd like to add India and Pakistan at some point but there are no portraits that suit yet so I'll hang fire on those. I'm also open to more suggestions. :)

Here's a visual representation of what nations are in the Xenonauts so far. It's also given me more ideas for more nations to add:

grzl.png

(Kenya and Nigeria are done and will be in the next update)

Edited by Pinetree

• 1 month later...

I'm looking at this with a mind to putting it in the game. The only issue is the length of some of the names - I'll have the cut out the Icelandic names because a whole bunch of them are going to be about 40 characters long if they are linked together.

Go for it, take whatever you want and cut what you don't. I still haven't added Kenya and Nigeria yet, I've gathered all the names, regiments and experiences so it's just a case of putting them together. I'm pretty busy on other things these days but let me know if you want them in and I'll find some time to do it.