PDA

View Full Version : New Research screen UI for comment

Chris
01-22-2012, 19:48
Continuing with the theme of GUI revisions (see the new Intercept window here (http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php?794-New-Intercept-window-for-feedback)), I've been working on the proposed new design for the Research screen. If you've not been around on the forums long, we're thinking about moving to a more immersive UI design for most of the screens similar to what is seen on the Main Menu screen.

This has two benefits - it looks better, and we can use 'tabs' on the speech bubbles to fit more in the UI than we can under the current system. Up til now it's been difficult to illustrate exactly how I want it to look as I've just been using words. Now we've got one of the backgrounds done, I can show off a proper concept of how the screens could look.

Here's the proposed new Reseach system. It should all be fairly self explanatory. The navigation is the sign in the top left (each board will light up when mouseovered) and you just click on the speech bubble tabs to travel to them. The clipboard will always show three current research projects, but if you have more of them then you can show them by moving your mouse to the bottom of the screen to look down the clipboard.

Let me know your thoughts, suggestions and feedback. Concepts below:

http://www.xenonauts.com/devimages/research_intro.jpg (http://www.xenonauts.com/devimages/research_intro.jpg)

http://www.xenonauts.com/devimages/research_manage.jpg (http://www.xenonauts.com/devimages/research_manage.jpg)

http://www.xenonauts.com/devimages/research_hire.jpg (http://www.xenonauts.com/devimages/research_hire.jpg)

http://www.xenonauts.com/devimages/research_advice.jpg (http://www.xenonauts.com/devimages/research_advice.jpg)

http://www.xenonauts.com/devimages/research_talk.jpg (http://www.xenonauts.com/devimages/research_talk.jpg)

resonansER
01-22-2012, 20:04
I have no words ... That is great! Very detailed, informative and beautifully decorated!
In my opinion, by submitting such research is immersion in the atmosphere of the game even more fully than usual!

Quartermaster
01-22-2012, 20:13
It looks very solid to me and the screens are much more informative. As a side note the main scientist that is talking to you looks like the head scientist in Independence Day except younger.

anotherdevil
01-22-2012, 20:23
Perhaps make it look more like a speech bubble, right now it kind of looks like a floating white board =p Putting the little arrow thing towards his mouth would be good I think =]

Also, is small talk ever going to be a viable option? If not I'd say remove it.

I like the new background, though I will miss the old one =[ Will the background still change as more and more stuff is researched? Or has that idea been dropped?

otherwise, AWESOME! =]

It looks very solid to me and the screens are much more informative. As a side note the main scientist that is talking to you looks like the head scientist in Independence Day except younger.
or Daniel Jackson =p

Chris
01-22-2012, 20:29
I like the new background, though I will miss the old one =[ Will the background still change as more and more stuff is researched? Or has that idea been dropped?

I want it to, depends on how much money we have and how fast we can get it done.

anotherdevil
01-22-2012, 20:34
I want it to, depends on how much money we have and how fast we can get it done.
Awesome! Good to hear mate =]

Gorlom
01-22-2012, 20:40
Why is the workshop highlighted on that list in the background?

AD already asked what i wanted to know about smalltalk. if its jsut there as a bit of easteregg its going to be tireing very quickly if you dont at least grey it out after the first 4-5 times to indicate your character got tired of trying to talk to him.

I'm not sure I would like the speechbubble aproach, might make it seem a bit silly? How about switching the progress tracker and the "manage/hire/advice/smalltalk" menu. That way the "speech" would feel more like subtitles... and the progress would feel more like it was beeing tracked on a blackboard (or whiteboard).

Jean-Luc
01-22-2012, 21:36
The "small talk" option and the head scientist's attitude both seem out of place and unnecessary to me. Might be better to keep things more formal or at least respectable (no mouthing off to the commander).

Other than the above, everything looks great.

Gorlom
01-22-2012, 21:39
Is the F1-9 implying floors or hotkeys btw? (Will they be clickable?)

iamkyon
01-22-2012, 22:00
I'll let others mull over details and particulars, but I must express my at astonishment at the look of these mock-ups. What an impeccable sense of style!

Pinetree
01-22-2012, 22:02
I love it, looks superb. My only thought is that you've added one more action to perform to simply check the status of all the research projects if you have more than 3 on the go. Maybe have the clipboard move up and down relating to the number of projects to a maximum of 10?(I don't recall having that many projects going at once) then add a scroll bar.

Chris
01-22-2012, 22:07

Both, and yes.

About the small talk option, it will unlock further into the game for this character. The other two will talk to you from the start, and basically it gives you some information on the characters background and life in the base. New dialogue options will unlock as more research is unlocked. The people on the Research, Workshop and Barracks screens (the Personnel screen is changing to be soldier focused and being renamed) are the only three people in the game you'll see in any detail, so it made sense to use them as method of giving the character interaction and improving immersion. If you're not a fan of that sorta thing, don't click on it. It won't affect the game in any way.

The scientist is meant to be narky, obviously. The other two guys are much friendlier. He'll be more memorable this way, rather than completely generic.

It's also possible we can move the clipboard up to show all ongoing research projects up to a cap of 5. No idea why anyone would want more than 5 ongoing at once...

anotherdevil
01-22-2012, 22:14
The navigation is the sign in the top left (each board will light up when mouseovered) and you just click on the speech bubble tabs to travel to them. For those wondering about the signs on the right, this is in Chris' OP.

Also the 'f lock' system would be good in my opinion.

Chris, will the signs stay the same between each and every part of the base?

Also I don't think 'weaponary' is spelt right. Isn't it supposed to be 'weaponry'?

The people on the Research, Workshop and Barracks screens (the Personnel screen is changing to be soldier focused and being renamed) are the only three people in the game you'll see in any detail, so it made sense to use them as method of giving the character interaction and improving immersion. If you're not a fan of that sorta thing, don't click on it. It won't affect the game in any way.WHat about a guy in the map room? Or is that gone?

iamkyon
01-22-2012, 22:16
New dialogue options will unlock as more research is unlocked.

Will the dialogue options be affected by other goings-on inside the game world, e.g. increased alien activity or assaults on Xenonaut bases?

Aaron
01-23-2012, 15:04
I love some of the details in the background art - the little CRT computer console and big tape drives in the background to place it in the eighties, and the shoulder boards on the lab coat to indicate these aren't your usual civilian scientists.

I also have to say I love the expressions of the characters "looking at you" in these new screens so far; they're painfully aware of the gravity of the situation, there's an alien invasion on and it's very grim and you're the only hope - and they aren't impressed! A subtly effective way to ratchet up the tension on the player.

The functional parts also look much cleaner than the old style, less information overload. I'm quite glad you didn't use a hokey little "tail" going from the guys mouth to the "speech bubble"; it's very clear what is going on without one anyway.

I mentioned before, I really like the idea of these advice and small talk screens - tips for new players and background fluff for those interested, but unobtrusive for everyone else.

Zinn
01-23-2012, 15:54
Gotta say I'm a big fan of this stuff, it looks great :D

I wonder if there's any specific though behind the little "Sector 02" in the top? Is it just random, local to the science division or what? Just thought it could be fun if sectors corresponded with the alignment to the left (Command Room, Base Command etc.) :P

Slippery Jim
01-23-2012, 16:28
Awesome artwork and design. I actually love the attitude from the scientist...as if he is too busy to talk to a control freak military man.

Beagle
01-23-2012, 17:18
Looks fantastic. Don't you dare change his attitude, I love the head scientist already from just these screens alone.

Gauddlike
01-23-2012, 18:04
I would suggest keeping the floor list complete all the time rather than taking the current one out.
It would keep a common theme better and all of the buttons would be in the same order on each screen, even if they are in different places.
Otherwise it looks great.
The Gaius Baltar style scientist looks good, I somehow feel he should have a cigar stuck in his top pocket though!
http://www.tvsinopse.kinghost.net/g/galatica4_arquivos/cast_baltar.jpg

anotherdevil
01-23-2012, 18:22
I'm quite glad you didn't use a hokey little "tail" going from the guys mouth to the "speech bubble"; it's very clear what is going on without one anyway.

Have to disagree with you there I'm afraid, that's one thing I think it needs. Not large, not glaring, but right now, to me, it looks like it could be at best a thought bubble, at worst a floating blackboard =p Just a wee tail, off one corner, is all that it needs =]

Gorlom
01-23-2012, 18:27
Have to disagree with you there I'm afraid, that's one thing I think it needs. Not large, not glaring, but right now, to me, it looks like it could be at best a thought bubble, at worst a floating blackboard =p Just a wee tail, off one corner, is all that it needs =]
What's your opinion on trying to make it look like subtitles instead?

I'm not sure about how countries that mostly dub their movies instead of subtiteling foreign films feel about this. But to me that would be prefereble over haveing a speechbubble.

Gauddlike
01-23-2012, 18:31
Actually it does look a bit like a speech bubble now people mention it.
Maybe it needs to be altered to look like a whiteboard or something else as it is now the only floating box on the screen and looks a little out of place.

BlackObsidian
01-23-2012, 18:41
I like it, the style is definitely an improvement over the clinical current version.

One thing though - is the manage research screen going to have any visual representation of the project or just text? I think not being able to actually see what you've recovered (or to have some sketch image for hypothetical projects) prior to getting the research completed xenopedia page is a loss over the current design.

anotherdevil
01-23-2012, 18:46
What's your opinion on trying to make it look like subtitles instead?

I'm not sure about how countries that mostly dub their movies instead of subtiteling foreign films feel about this. But to me that would be prefereble over haveing a speechbubble.
Subtitles... are always down the bottom, usually in white, and that generally glares with white backgrounds. Plus I'm not sure about that a) the options of what to choose wouldn't be as obvious, and b) the whole thing would look like it's not meant to get in the way (subtitles are unobtrusive on the film) when this is the menu, so obviously supposed to grab your attention! =]

Actually it does look a bit like a speech bubble now people mention it.
Maybe it needs to be altered to look like a whiteboard or something else as it is now the only floating box on the screen and looks a little out of place.
I believe it is supposed to look like a speech bubble, it is the scientist talking to you after all. If it looked like a white board, I would constantly be wondering (and am at the moment) why it looks like the guy is writing down his comments. Perhaps we have a mute head scientist?

Aleksi
01-23-2012, 19:20
He looks sooooo mad! :D

Okim
01-23-2012, 19:41
Hmm. Is it only me who sees this guy http://www.listal.com/list/mr-scientist in your research leader? :)

IMHO a sub-folder (or how is it called?) type menu looks more fitting here: http://www.okim.nickersonm.com/rscreen.jpg

Agree with AD. Chit/chat indeed requires some representation like in comic books - the art you`ve made is just awesome and combined with chit/chat text bubles might be looking even greater).

Gorlom
01-23-2012, 21:10
Subtitles... are always down the bottom, usually in white, and that generally glares with white backgrounds. Plus I'm not sure about that a) the options of what to choose wouldn't be as obvious, and b) the whole thing would look like it's not meant to get in the way (subtitles are unobtrusive on the film) when this is the menu, so obviously supposed to grab your attention! =]

Clearly we imagine different things at the mention of subtitles.
Yes, subtitles are usually at the bottom. My suggestion is to switch places of the menu and the research progress. I'm not sure what subtitles you are used to but in sweden when we subtitle tv movies or series we add a black strip at the bottom with the text on. (Personally I dont see why we cant use black text on white background for subtitles in this specific case. THere are lots of ways of implementing subtitles. I belive Metalgear series usually type it out on a little screen at the bottom.)
I meant more of suggesting subtitles or some such not to acctually try and make it look unobtrusive. You dont have to acctually take the speech text out of the menu square. Just haveing that menu at the bottom would suggest subtitles.

I guess I just won't have any luck convincing anyone else about this over the rather silly speechbubble tail. I tried and I will continue to prefere the menu at the bottom and progress bar higher up, but leave it up to the developers discretion as of now.

Gauddlike
01-24-2012, 07:40
I like Okim's tabbed version as well.
I don't like the speech bubble idea though, it would look a little cheesy to me.

Chris
01-24-2012, 08:43
The reason the research projects are at the bottom is because:
a) You're more likely to have a print out of current project status than you are of, say, small talk - so it's more logical to have that on a clipboard.
b) The clipboard can be relatively unobtrusive if only a few projects are in progress.
c) It's what people come to the screen to see - it needs to be accessible immediately on reaching the screen.

There's less space on the clipboard than in the speech bubble so I don't really want to swop them around. Raising the clipboard obscures a lot more of the background and of the scientist too so isn't the ideal solution.

anotherdevil
01-24-2012, 08:48
This is what I had in my mind by the speech bubble idea. It's subtle, so you probably wont notice it. But in my mind it makes sense =p

Gauddlike
01-24-2012, 09:30
A lot of the things that are displayed in that box are not conversations though.
Take a look at the other screens Chris posted at the start.
Most of them would look out of place in a speech bubble.

Beagle
01-24-2012, 11:00
I like how it is as is without the bubble tail. I think it works fine.

Chris
01-24-2012, 11:36
For clarification, it IS meant to be a speech bubble. It's just a question of presentation really. I'm still undecided. Straight edges are easier to do in game terms.

resonansER
01-24-2012, 12:09
What the fuck bubbles? There is time, perhaps, for this nonsense?
Let us now load Chris's own delusions, and this year's game will not see at all.
Bubbles, little windows, thingies. Are you crazy?
Constant care to the side for quite significant elements - this is nonsense. If you do not value your time, then just appreciate the time developers.

:) :) :)

P.S. Screen Research, which was presented by Chris - is beautiful and not overloaded.
WHY there any bubbles, and other nonsense? This is my personal opinion. I do not impose it, but I was also involved in the development of java-games at one time. And led the team of developers. I understand really how Chris patience and willpower to listen to all of us. I suggest that the discussion on the merits. If you ask us, we are talking CONSTRUCTIVE.

Amiga4ever
01-24-2012, 13:31
In my opinion clear research screen will be perfect. Without any scientist speech - I know it could be funny but who will have time to read it every time:) anyway sooner or later dialogue will be the same again.

shuuk
01-24-2012, 13:37
For me its a bit to much and overloaded.

Gorlom
01-24-2012, 14:53
The reason the research projects are at the bottom is because:
a) You're more likely to have a print out of current project status than you are of, say, small talk - so it's more logical to have that on a clipboard.
b) The clipboard can be relatively unobtrusive if only a few projects are in progress.
c) It's what people come to the screen to see - it needs to be accessible immediately on reaching the screen.

There's less space on the clipboard than in the speech bubble so I don't really want to swop them around. Raising the clipboard obscures a lot more of the background and of the scientist too so isn't the ideal solution.
a) Wasnt expecting the menu to be on the clipboard. :p Thought the scientists tracking the progress on a whiteboard would make sense too.
b) and c) So it's meant to be unobtrusive AND be the reason people come to that screen? :confused:
d) fair enough.

Szabtom
01-24-2012, 16:02
Looks very very nice! One thing that confused me a little, is that the active function/floor, inthis case F3, moves out of the list on the wall, and F4 (workshop) is highlighted there. Maybe it's different when you see it working on your screen, I don't know.
Another thing: on the hiring screen, I don't see the number of available living spaces, the color bars are not sufficient, I think. Can I hire 2 or 3 scientists in Base 2? or maybe just one?

Chris
01-24-2012, 16:24
The Workshop being highlighted on the wall sign is just to show how the sign would look if you mouseovered it. By default it would not be highlighted.

For Base 2, you'd be able to hire 8 soldiers as you've currently got 42/50 living space. But that does raise a valid point - the number on the right will have to show total Living Space at that base, minus the number of soldiers and technicians already there (rather than just the Living Space in that base). I'd not thought of that until just now.

Slippery Jim
01-24-2012, 17:07
The Gaius Baltar style scientist looks good, I somehow feel he should have a cigar stuck in his top pocket though!

Oh God, please no BSG references. I absolutely hated what they did with the new series. Almost as bad as the Stargate series.

(Is this a good time to also bring up the fact that I HATED the Starship Trooper films? Read the classic novel instead).

PS: Bah hum-bug ;)

Sfoxor
01-24-2012, 18:21
Even though I've not introduced myself I will say the opportunity to test out alpha builds, provide constructive criticism, feed back and suggestions is highly valued by me as I've beta tested alot of games and provided alot of feed back in the past.

When I pre-order Xenonauts and was allowed access to the in progress alpha I was extremely happy, as the game looks like it has alot of potential.

Originally I was introduced to xenonauts through a review on another website (spacesector.com) and when I saw your website (the original one with the map/banner at the top), the art style, the potential of the game as well as the feelings it conquered up, being an old school xcom fan I had to preorder.

But It's with a heavy heart I must say looking at these potential new research screens, alot of my anticipation and excitement for the game fades.

Why you might ask, so I'll elaborate trying to provide this feed back as constructive criticism best I can.

I can see what you are trying to achieve with those screenshots, the feeling that your there on the base as such commanding and managing the everyday workings, but it looks wrong. It feels disjointed with the rest of the game, with the games theme or style of other sections of the game such as the geoscape.

These potential screens, convey a feeling that the section of the game is/has been created around a piece of art, rather than other way around. And there is an extremely high danger of losing continuity throughout the game and I feel this subtracts from the experience.

Again I'll say I believe I can see what your going for, but this is hard to achieved without the budgets and time of such games as something like silenthunter etc.
It might be possible to have a transition animation as an alternative, lets say from stepping back from looking down at the Geoscape (command and control console table (example - http://gallery.drfaulken.com/d/5260-2/battlestar_control.jpg) to looking at a desk with blueprints strewn across it (for base management). Rather than changing room entirely.

Remember the subtag for the game is currently "A Strategic planetary defence simulator" not a full out 3d base management game sims affair , but its easy to day dream I guess ( I know I do ).

This feed back, that sections of the game feel as though they've been created around the art rather than the other way around, was something I was thinking about, trying to put my finger on it from the very first time I played the game and saw the background art of sections such as research where the vast majority of the picture was hidden and hard to make out.

This got me thinking, and I compiled a list of ideas/bugs/designs on how I would go about designing/improving these sections of the game.
I then slept on it.

Then today I thought I'd put together a quick mock-up of some of the things I was thinking, so far I've only finished the geoscape should I post it here, or start a new thread?.
(apologies for going abit off topic)

Phydeaux
01-24-2012, 18:27
Breathtaking. It sets the tone so well, and looks very much like a 60s/70s science/engineering lab. The small talk thing seems out of place to me, but is ignorable, as you said. I don't think it's too busy. It's marvelous. If you had the resources to change the background over time, it will be even better.

Though I've already purchased it, the artwork excites me and makes me want to buy the game.

iamkyon
01-24-2012, 19:14
I can see what you are trying to achieve with those screenshots, the feeling that your there on the base as such commanding and managing the everyday workings, but it looks wrong. It feels disjointed with the rest of the game, with the games theme or style of other sections of the game such as the geoscape.

Unless I'm mistaken, the team are shooting for a cohesive aesthetic, i.e. interface elements across the board will likewise be given a facelift.

Szabtom
01-24-2012, 21:58
the number on the right will have to show total Living Space...
... I'd not thought of that until just now.

I can see I have 8 places in the lab, but not how many living spaces. So, I was referring to what you said in the quote. It just occured to me because the living space bar was almost full and thought "hey, I can't fit 8 scientists there! ". :)

imperialus
01-24-2012, 22:29
a) Wasnt expecting the menu to be on the clipboard. :p Thought the scientists tracking the progress on a whiteboard would make sense too.
b) and c) So it's meant to be unobtrusive AND be the reason people come to that screen? :confused:
d) fair enough.

Except in the early 1970's Whiteboards were not at all common. A chalkboard would make more sense, but it would be difficult to read. It might be a cool thing to add into the background though. It really is one of those things that would really date the picture for anyone who was in school prior to the 1990's and a chalkboard covered in weird mathematical symbols would be really cool... You could even fire little Easter eggs on it like have E=MC2 circled, with a big X though it and FALSE written underneath.

Chris had mentioned upthread about the possibility of having the background change as new stuff gets researched too and I think having an evolving chalkboard would be a good way to potentially show progress without having to have the artist redraw the entire scene. Basically, as the research evolves the chalkboard gets more and more cluttered as various projects are completed. You could watch theories get proven, disproven, argued over and everything in a relatively small space.

Bibidibop
01-25-2012, 05:02
Don't declare basic principles wrong. E=MC^2 is correct, at most C, the speed of light, might be in question. You could have C = 299 792 458 m / s crossed out with a ? next to it.

Artistically I like the base section window selection button board. Ergonomically, I wonder how it will transfer from section to section without requiring slight repositionings of the mouse and eyes. As long as it lines up the same way every time I see no issue.
The lab looks great, all the backgrounds do, and this one is very period appropriate. The computer though, it's a dumb terminal? That would fit well with the racks of tape memory in the background.
The scientist is an asshole, and if he has military rank I would report him for insubordination. I would remove those rank like shoulder straps so it's clear he is purely civilian.
The very vague Progress makes sense, but is none the less rather irritating. Instead, how about a projection in days which fluctuates based on the progress quality of good, none, average. At 'none', the days would be ∞, 'average' could be whatever average research time actually is, or close to around to it.
In the list of in progress projects, the scientist count column could use up/down arrows. Otherwise we're left with cancelling research to adjust personnel use.
I feel like the cancel column should be a column of empty boxes which get filled by an X when clicked. Then the research line is struck with a line across the whole row. When you leave and come back to the Research Lab the row is gone. This also gives the chance to unstrike the line if you don't make immediate changes. If the board is too filled, then the struck row disappears once the new project is added.
My only worry about the Manage Research page is that it has so little space for listing projects. The current organization seems better with its limited hierarchy.
I like having Hire/Fire right in the lab as well as in Personnel. It's great to list the lab and housing on one page, and for it to be for all bases. That's extremely convenient.
I think Research Advice could use a small page break line between each suggestion.

Like so.

Okim
01-25-2012, 10:02
I personally have no problem with background and scientist being obscured by the clipboard. First of all from the research screen i need information on current projects and easy access to project management - clipboard nearly a half of the screen in height will handle all necessary info good enough.

And i wont regret having no small talk at all - having no impact on gameplay this is rather pointless to include into the game. In addition, after the first use it wont actually bring any atmosphere into the game and will be ignored.

Amiga4ever
01-25-2012, 10:43
...one thing is still missing about research. In geoscape after information that something has been researched should be an extra option to start new project. So far we need to enter research center manually.

Okim
01-25-2012, 10:55
Yes, this is a good suggestion. Also there should be an option to get into the lab after viewing the xenopedia entry.

Gauddlike
01-26-2012, 19:46
today I thought I'd put together a quick mock-up of some of the things I was thinking, so far I've only finished the geoscape should I post it here, or start a new thread?.
(apologies for going abit off topic)
Remember that the other screens you are comparing the research screen to have not yet had their own look modified.
If you have a geoscape mock up to show off them making a new thread for it would be better, I for one would be interested to see it.

G-Bee
01-27-2012, 10:58
I'm loving the style, it's been quite a while since I've seen game art that is exactly how I want it!

Suggestions:

- Please remove "Small talk". I immediatly noticed it and didn't like it. It seems the button actually makes the scene less immersive. It's not fitting for the situation. This scientist is staring at me like he wants me to get out of his face, and we're going to have some small talk? Seems like a waste of precious development time.

- The text elements on screen look way too big for me. I guess this will be resolved with resolution settings?

- I would prefer a grid view or spreadsheet-feel for the research items. Just drawing lines on the clipboard paper would do the trick. That would seem more realistic to me, instead of magically outlining everything perfectly on a blank paper.

Haba
01-27-2012, 14:55
You could animate the clipboard slightly. When you hover mouse over it, make the clipboard move up so you see more of it. Feels natural.

That would be a nice little addition. And it can be done with minimal effort - simply ask the artist to make it layered, so you can easily swap/replace elements. Artist will draw roughly the same amount but you'll have several alternative versions to use.

If possible, also make them react to other game events (lab was damaged in alien attack, research was distrupted) etc.

nutbarz
01-31-2012, 18:27
I Think its Great. All the Screen Shots are great, and the Idea that things will change in the background is nice. I love the snarky attitude of the Scientist, Do you have Plans for the other Department Heads as well. I think there could be a secretary as well in the Main area (f1) who could give breifings like, "They have recently fitted the Mig at Alpha Base with a Plasma Cannon and will be done in 6 hours" Or We are dangerously close to losing funding from Japan because of a recent Terror Attack. Or even, there are rumors of a possible Alien base that has been established in south America"
I love the small Talk. I think its brilliant.

Subtitles - I usually feel that subtitles in a game come when one of the Characters is actually talking (where you hear the sounds) and If the Scientist will astually be talking, then Subtitles could be used. But Only if there is Speech

White Board. White Boards were introduced in the mid 60's to the General Market, and Since this is a Highly trained state of the art operation, they would have had white boards. (I found out on Wikipedia that they were intro'd then)

The Clipboard - I Like the Idea of adding a Scroll feature to show all of the current in progress research tasks.

Taury_CZ
01-31-2012, 20:12
Very nice. If you do that background change with advances in research ( better tech better computer and so on ) it will be bombastic.

poulwrist
01-31-2012, 21:33
It looks great :D I do miss some kind of graphical representation of what it is you're going to research. For some reason I like seeing graphical images of things I might want to know more about :p

Apart f rom that, the only other thing I could see which could make it better would be to have it overlaid by a muted soundscape of people mumbling, computers humming, glasses jingling and a beep here and there.

G-Bee
02-01-2012, 08:52
Apart f rom that, the only other thing I could see which could make it better would be to have it overlaid by a muted soundscape of people mumbling, computers humming, glasses jingling and a beep here and there.

This! But yeah, in a very subtle way.

peren
02-02-2012, 16:53

Is there any reason why you are using the f1 keys? I know alot of laptops have them combined with another key and it could be a hassle to use them. I suggest the 1-0 keys.

nutbarz
02-02-2012, 17:44
Is there any reason why you are using the f1 keys? I know alot of laptops have them combined with another key and it could be a hassle to use them. I suggest the 1-0 keys.

Probably cause a lot of desktops do have them

plucx
02-02-2012, 20:12
I do not like the small talk option, unless the guy only talk about random stuff. However, if there is something about the whole science project that is not in the folders for me to know, i would love the option to execute the guy for hiding important data and research options.

Remember X-Com. Sleek ui, the right information, slide bar that are easy to use (gig and well defined). (Broken reasearch tree tough)

Maybe put a research tree somewhere. Use the art as a backgroud filler the same way x-com did.

I feeled pulled out of the strategic position.
However, it might be interesting to call a meeting where your top supervisors can meet and answer your question. Meeting are important for that. Your time is precious as much as all the other supervisors. Having them all there at the same time make them acessible to you with advices and situation report, at the same time the other advisors get an idea of what happens in another dept and may have a solution.

That's why meeting exist and why top administrator avoid useless chatter in the corridors. (Unless there is a break but then, chatter is better be relaxing or else you might get a "send me a report" answer)

poulwrist
02-02-2012, 22:04
Visible research trees are bad. The enjoyment of research is as much the surprise of what you become able to do.

irongamer
02-02-2012, 23:11
Wow, I like this setup. More immersive, feels like you are inside your base. The advise option and viewing all bases at the same time is great. My only suggestion at this point is the make the "commence project" button something other than black and make it a bit bigger. It is a commence button, make it green or something. It just needs to stand out a bit more.

nutbarz
02-02-2012, 23:54
Visible research trees are bad. The enjoyment of research is as much the surprise of what you become able to do.

I got to the point when I would play Civ Call to Power that I would follow the ingame research tree to pick and choose what I needed to research, and what I could skip and steal later. I would rather have it be a suprise when I return from a mission and find out "hey I can research Alien Entertainment!" - Which I read will not be included. :eek:

Gorlom
02-03-2012, 00:03
Wow, I like this setup. More immersive, feels like you are inside your base. The advise option and viewing all bases at the same time is great. My only suggestion at this point is the make the "commence project" button something other than black and make it a bit bigger. It is a commence button, make it green or something. It just needs to stand out a bit more.
Silly Irongamer! Buttons should be red! especially if they lead to things that can potentially destroy the world once the alien threat has been vanquished!

irongamer
02-03-2012, 00:05
Hah, I almost suggested red. But figured that should be reserved for base defenses or something. =)

Gazz
02-03-2012, 00:53
If you have Red Button buttons, you should have one Red Button on a console in the background.
Pressing it starts a soundfile like
"Warning! Weapons test initiated! *uncontrolled explosions*"

A Do Not Press This Button button.

BobbyDylan
02-07-2012, 09:47
I really really like it. I'd keep it exactly the way it is, with no change. I like the fact that the scientist looks like his tired of having to deal with this slow witted commander. ;)

The only addition I would possibly include is that if you clicked on the background art anywhere (like on one of the computers), the Scientist would say "Dont touch that commander, it's very expensive". Or something similar.

poulwrist
02-07-2012, 09:50
I got to the point when I would play Civ Call to Power that I would follow the ingame research tree to pick and choose what I needed to research, and what I could skip and steal later. I would rather have it be a suprise when I return from a mission and find out "hey I can research Alien Entertainment!" - Which I read will not be included. :eek:

Exactly :)

BobbyDylan
04-25-2012, 07:00
Is this still going to be included?

Chris
04-25-2012, 09:42
Yes. But we're only implementing the new UI once the rest of the game mechanics have been implemented so it's the last thing planned for development pre-beta.

craftomega
04-27-2012, 14:08
Yes. But we're only implementing the new UI once the rest of the game mechanics have been implemented so it's the last thing planned for development pre-beta.

Aw.... Everything looked so... AWSOME!!!!!!!!!

Gauddlike
04-27-2012, 21:10
It would need to be pulled apart and redone every time something new got added, might as well leave it until they know exactly what it needs to do.

local
04-28-2012, 23:54
Awesome. Bright colors, and authentic looking surfaces. It gives me the sense of activity between the battlescape missions. I like the small talk option. Maybe a good place for interested modders to add funny dialogue..or monologue..something.

Belmakor
04-29-2012, 00:26
Yeh I really like this.

Can we please have two buttons for increasing/decreasing researchers. << < > >> so that you can up in increments of 1 and say 10. That way I can assign 60 researchers with 6 clicks not 60!

Gorlom
04-29-2012, 00:37
Yeh I really like this.

Can we please have two buttons for increasing/decreasing researchers. << < > >> so that you can up in increments of 1 and say 10. That way I can assign 60 researchers with 6 clicks not 60!
ctrl click should do that already unless I missunderstood Chris. rightclick should assign all? (or if it was the other way around)

IceVamp
04-29-2012, 05:54
Now, ctrl+left click assigns all available personnel, be it research, manufacture, selling stuff, you name it. I've never used the right click function.

Buzzles
04-29-2012, 15:09
Right click works, but it's a bit odd. Tap it and it just does it in a single increment of 1, hold down and it jumps up 10 places at the same speed holding left down works, meaning you just ramp through the numbers really quickly.

I'd rather have right click be a single click of 10, and ctrl click either being max or very quick.

The new research screens look rather swish though. Not sure on "Small talk" being there. Perhaps the same function can be a "hidden" function made by clicking on the scientists head.

jamoecw
04-29-2012, 20:35
i would change the font on the clipboard to 'videobeast 80's' or something that looks like it was printed in the early 80's.

videobeast 80's:

IceVamp
04-30-2012, 06:09
i would change the font on the clipboard to 'videobeast 80's' or something that looks like it was printed in the early 80's.

videobeast 80's:
I'd prefer to be able to read it tbh.

Belmakor
04-30-2012, 21:32
Ooh, that ignited my imagination.

If you were going for the UI changing over time you could probably get away with 3 different ones..

I'm thinking the second advancement the clip board would be replaced with a iPad type device, and the 3rd one would be akin to something out of Minority Report (i.e. I kind of holographic translucent screen).

Your scientist could go from wearing that lab coat to wearing a chemical/radiation hazard suit (without the helmet) * hes dealing with alenium now for heaven's sake, and then in the late game he should have some sort of optical device fitted over one eye and be wearing a shiny reflective suit (that looks abit like aluminium rubber) powered by an obvious alenium reactor (iron man style).

Mandabar
04-30-2012, 22:04
Ooh, that ignited my imagination.

If you were going for the UI changing over time you could probably get away with 3 different ones..

I'm thinking the second advancement the clip board would be replaced with a iPad type device, and the 3rd one would be akin to something out of Minority Report (i.e. I kind of holographic translucent screen).

Your scientist could go from wearing that lab coat to wearing a chemical/radiation hazard suit (without the helmet) * hes dealing with alenium now for heaven's sake, and then in the late game he should have some sort of optical device fitted over one eye and be wearing a shiny reflective suit (that looks abit like aluminium rubber) powered by an obvious alenium reactor (iron man style).

I like this!

Chris
04-30-2012, 22:04
Belmakor - the robotic limbs are reserved for the head engineer, I'm afraid. Although the scientist will get a snazzy eyepiece.

I hadn't thought about upgrading the clipboard, but that is a very nice idea.

Belmakor
05-01-2012, 01:40
And in action...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/clh882/work.png

Chris
05-01-2012, 11:08
Heh. I'm not sure he'd be the best person to lead the research efforts, given I've only seen him perform one experiment and it didn't turn out particularly well for humanity.

Silichna
05-01-2012, 11:39
He fixed the problem though.... eventually... sort of...

IceVamp
05-01-2012, 12:48
Also, being mute in that position would be a real hassle.

GoodGuyEddy
05-01-2012, 13:42
And he cant count to 3.

jamoecw
05-01-2012, 19:46
I'd prefer to be able to read it tbh.

the idea is to have the print out look period specific, a simple dot matrix, at the time i though the black dots were for the computer for some reason, but after installing it it would seem not. either way you agree that dot matrix for the computer printout from the 80's is needed, right?
here's some others:

for the size on the clipboard i think the third is best, as it would be nice for it to be easily readable, as well as being obvious it is dot matrix.

perhaps for the other screens a different 80's era font could be shown, though i am not sure were they would fit as i have yet to see them.

some more 80's fonts:

Gorlom
05-01-2012, 20:25
Readability > timespecific fonts. :p

The dotmatrix is very annoying to read and hard on the eyes imo. Besides Chris is already haveing scaleing problems with the text. Probably should use a font that makes it easier rather then makeing the problem worse? :p

IceVamp
05-01-2012, 21:53
The first commercial implementation of a laser printer was the IBM 3800 in 1976, used for high-volume printing of documents such as invoices and mailing labels. It is often cited as "taking up a whole room," implying that it was a primitive version of the later familiar device used with a personal computer. While large, it was designed for an entirely different purpose. Many 3800s are still in use.[citation needed]
The first laser printer designed for use in an office setting was released with the Xerox Star 8010 in 1981.
Obviously as a Commander I demand a proper printer, that can print stuff I'm able to read. :D

jamoecw
05-02-2012, 09:12
excellent points, i just didn't realize that it was harder to read, though now that i think back to when i first has to read dot matrix there was a bit of getting used.

@IceVamp - nice bit of trivia, and it would help explain the high costs for the era. after all you need the best if you are going to perform at your best. which is why the toilets are all japanese, the food french, and the clocks german.

IceVamp
05-02-2012, 13:17
No way! My wrist watch is a swiss wrist watch! Say that ten times fast!

Chris
05-02-2012, 13:48
But they're already providing the Toblerones. I'm not sure they can also provide watches to the Xenonauts...

Gauddlike
05-02-2012, 13:52
Yeah balancing the funding is going to be tricky.

Amaror
05-04-2012, 09:38
It looks good, but i don't know about the style of the room selection on the left.
If you aren't planning to completely change the tone of the geoscape it would seem out of place i think.

iamkyon
05-04-2012, 10:37
It looks good, but i don't know about the style of the room selection on the left.
If you aren't planning to completely change the tone of the geoscape it would seem out of place i think.

Oh, I believe the Geoscape screen will receive an overhaul as well.

BobbyDylan
05-04-2012, 12:55
Still really like this.

This pic should be included in the kickstarter, to give people a flavour of what they'd help fund.

Moonshine Fox
05-13-2012, 19:43
Still really like this.

This pic should be included in the kickstarter, to give people a flavour of what they'd help fund.It already is. Under the "New UI" link.

XenoMask
05-18-2012, 06:09
I hope small talk option will be in final version, I love small details like that :3

Gorlom
05-18-2012, 08:31
I hope small talk option will be in final version, I love small details like that :3
I just hope the button will be greyed out if he doesn't have anything to say. I'd rather not have him repeat some standard phrase 20.000.000 times.

Shima
05-18-2012, 09:00
I am really looking forward to the small talk option, it goes well with personalizing research, now when we'll get head scientist, engineer etc.
Still, I don't understand why is there so much opposition against small talk. You can always ignore it.. And I will enjoy it :)

Gauddlike
05-18-2012, 10:34
I just hope the button will be greyed out if he doesn't have anything to say. I'd rather not have him repeat some standard phrase 20.000.000 times.
That would imply that after you have clicked the button 19,999,999 times you will still be thinking "Hey I'll press it again just in case he says something different this time!" :p

Gorlom
05-18-2012, 11:34
Well I would ofc not expect it to change afte clicking it 5 times in a row... (some silly gmes has that function that they say the same thing a few times but if you click enough they change) But i would be clicking it 5 times after each alien ive killed, after each research completed, after each new item manufactured, after each scientist hired (maybe he will talk smack about the new "free thinkers" you got on the payroll, or the young wippersnapeprs that think they are something)

It would just feel better if the button was greyed out or at least worked like a mail inbox (incase you want to review old "smalltalk") for an obsessive compulsive completionist and lore freak such as myself :D

Gauddlike
05-18-2012, 12:50
Unless after the 19,999,999 time he just gave you advice on where you could buy a new mouse as the one you were using would probably be a bit the worse for wear.

I agree though that you should be able to look back over previous topics while new ones were easily accessible.
That does depend on how small the talk is.
If he mentioned several weeks ago that his cousin just got married, or that his goldfish had died, then there would be no real reason to look back through it.
If that is the case then greying it out would be better.

thothkins
05-18-2012, 17:53
or that his goldfish had died
but then you'd want to interact with a subtle...'so, did you try to bring it back' in the hope of getting zombie soldiers at your command.

Gauddlike
05-18-2012, 18:07
It would only show up again in Xenonauts: Terror in the Deep.
While flushing it down the toilet the scientist hears strange noises and realises there are aliens down there.

thothkins
05-18-2012, 20:57
dear gods! Toilet Tentacle horror - that's some way to start off a base defence mission.

GoodGuyEddy
05-19-2012, 23:48
Toilet Tentacle horror
How'd we get here from "New research UI"?

thothkins
05-19-2012, 23:58
I think Chris mentioned that in an unforgivable oversight, that the base layout didn't have toilets in it. So, clearly this was the project leads fault and nothing to do with our own degraded mental states... not that we have any degraded mental states... and if we had I'm sure they would be doing just fine thanks for asking.

Yup, I don't think anyone noticed anything amiss as I eased my way out of Toilet Tentacle Horror . Nice and smooth...

No really, it was in a film. I'm sure it was. Someone is sitting on the John and well.. you can imagine the rest... The Blob remake? CHUD?

There's sort of something like this in Dreamcatcher...

The New Romance
05-20-2012, 19:41
There's sort of something like this in Dreamcatcher...
I literally jumped out of my cinema seat when that happened.

thothkins
05-20-2012, 20:35
I think a lot of people had trouble staying in any kind of seat for a while after that :)

Buzzles
05-20-2012, 22:29
I think a lot of people had trouble staying in any kind of seat for a while after that :)

If you read the book it'll sh*t you up even more. And also make you rage at the film for how far away from the book it goes.

To get on topic and a fwiw, I still think Small Talk should go. Mostly because if you keep it, I'll be expecting one on every page of the UI where you seemingly interact with a person, and I'd also would think it's a waste of time to write the dozens of lines of text in order to not make it a really hollow feature.

Gauddlike
05-21-2012, 07:56
Most adaptations of books make me do that.
Not come across any really decent ones.

thothkins
05-21-2012, 21:03
Keeping on Stephen King books...yet oddly still not on topic...

I seem to remember liking the shining movie more than the book. The ending of IT didn't have the space turtle in it... the ending of the Stand took less time to be annoyed at than the umpteen hundred pages of leading me up to the cliff that the book gave me. Actually, all of these are endings. If you took the ending to any movie and tagged it onto a King book there's every chance it would be an improvement.

...on topic... look ma!

I'm not a big fan of small talk. The caveat being that I've not seen it, or interacted with it and these things make this little more than a whine. I preferred the desolate original art where people were either too busy worrying about their loved ones, were too buy trying to save the planet or simply just too depressed and gum to talk to you at all.

Gauddlike
05-21-2012, 21:06
I always liked The Stand.
Don't think they ever made anything out of that one though.

Back to that pesky topic thing:
I like the small talk as long as it fits with the mood of the game.

thothkins
05-21-2012, 21:10
I like the small talk as long as it fits with the mood of the game.

You get to the lab, and the still is of the guy in the lab coat is running hysterically away from you, throwing his notes in the air.

You get the feeling things may not be working out. :)

There was a huge Stand TV thingy that had Rob Lowe (easing his way back into film following some incidents) and Molly Ringwald (facing the horrible Stand like end of '80s teen movies)

Gauddlike
05-21-2012, 21:11
Was it any good?

thothkins
05-21-2012, 21:18
um... nothing really Stands (sorry) out. It was OK I guess. It's a big ask to get the horrible issues of humanity's extinction into a TV movie. it's easy for the book to describe New York streets choking with bodies, but they all want make up and coffee in the TV version. Extras! Bah!

As I mentioned a certain event late on wasn't very good in the TV version, but didn't outrage me the way the book had. I was so disappointed in that. Mainly because of how really good the build up had been.

How can I stay on topic, if you don't give me anyting to work on here...

Since the guy in the lab reminds me of the guy from Independence Day - could we get a still where one of the aliens has escaped from containment. 'A little busy here commander!' or 'Mmmmfffff' as he's cocooned or 'Brains' as he turns into a Reaper zombie.

Chris
05-28-2012, 19:19
I think I'll ignore any criticism of the Small Talk feature until we've figured out how it's going to work :)

thothkins
05-28-2012, 22:48
what criticism? You were very keen to have changing graphics to fit the game events. Just helping out, honest I was guv. :)

MrSisterShotgun
05-29-2012, 08:46
Looks great! The UI looks really nice in white. Also it's nice to see some character interaction happening. I imagine tension will rise througout the war with the Aliens and these people will change attitudes over the course of time. Regardless good work.

TrashMan
06-04-2012, 20:25

Why? the Geospace IS A monitor/screen you are looking at, while research/engineering IS talking to the head guy there.
Nothing out of place there..

Honestly, you ppl are sometimes complaining about the most inane of things.

thothkins
08-19-2012, 07:00
bah! bot infiltration of normal threads!

Gorlom
08-19-2012, 14:12
Nono that is just an avatar. Trashman isn't a bot...

:p

thothkins
08-19-2012, 14:35
:) sorry trashman. Case of mistaken identity. I'm sure we're all>click< humans round >whirr< here >buzz<

Gauddlike
08-19-2012, 14:49
Speak for yourself, I am a hyper intelligent shade of the colour blue.

thothkins
08-19-2012, 17:19
the colour out of space (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Colour_Out_of_Space).... hey, that makes you an alien. Gah! Infiltrators! Infiltrators! Bots & Colours!

Gorlom
08-19-2012, 18:01
Speak for yourself, I am a hyper intelligent shade of the colour blue.

This would so be my signature if I didn't think the tvtropes links are too important to distract from.

Skitso
08-27-2012, 07:48
I agree that the room selector seems a bit out of place style wise compared to geoscape look. Same problem is with air combat graphics. Miniguns, missiles and all the other green/red graphics (while nice) are completely in different art style than soldier portraits, and weapons in ground combat..