PDA

View Full Version : DF Discussion

Sathra
12-12-2011, 15:59
Since DF is pretty popular among the forumites. Or something like popular at least. Let's have a thread purely for chattering about DF!

Soap Castles? Bone armoured marksdwarves armed with bone bolts and crossbows? Slaughter pens filled with hundreds of puppies? Slaughter towers with the same? BEEKEEPING?!

And so on and so forth.

Jean-Luc
12-12-2011, 16:13
What's DF? :(

Quartermaster
12-12-2011, 16:38
What's DF? :(

If you don't know that this stands for Dwarf Fortress then you have likely not lost countless hours to the detail obsessed insanity that is this game. To get a good feel for the strongpoints of the game check out the story of Boatmurdered.

Personal favorite Dwarf Fortress occurence in my own games was when a titan made of fire (suicide bomber) ran into my base, got killed in one hit, exploded, and melted 3 of my soldier dwarfs.

Sathra
12-12-2011, 16:56
Boatmurdered, Syrupleaf and Battlefailed are all good.

Jean-Luc
12-12-2011, 17:25
Oh I know about DF, just haven't seen it mentioned in the forum so I didn't realize what Sathra was on about. :P

I did try playing it for a bit but I'm just not hardcore enough. I need and interface and I need to be able to tell what's going on in a game. I know there are graphics mods that replace the ASCII visuals but even so wrestling with the interface and trying to navigate the menus reminded me of DOS days and things like Norton Commander and DOS Navigator. I just couldn't bring myself to jump through all the hoops.

But I do support the project, crazy things go on in there and I like how stories are generated through the gameplay. I did read the Boatmurdered story, most of it at least, hard to remember.

Straker
12-12-2011, 20:00
Between this thread, and the large number of other posts one after the other, I'd say Sathra has had alot of coffee. :D

Brosama
12-12-2011, 21:29
I've attempted to play Dwarf Fortress multiple times, but the learning curve has always knocked me on my ass and left me confused and frustrated. I hear the game can be insanely fun and addictive once you get the hang of it, so I'll most likely open up some beginners guides next time I try.

radister
12-13-2011, 00:09
I recently tried playing and used some tutorials on you tube to learn the basics (after the in game manual confused me even more)
But i do agree, there is alot to learn.
One of them being, don't build your first fort on the side of an mountain really high up with no trees and just claystone... while better players then me might do well in that situation; i spent an hour too figure out how screwed i was. :p

Sathra
12-13-2011, 05:53
My first lost fort was much more simple, but a good lesson: Don't play with aquifers, not matter how much you think you could deal with it.
Really should have put more doors in too...

@Straker: I hadn't checked the forums in a few days actually, so still have to update the master bug list. And I live off coffee.

ZeElfenWaffe
12-13-2011, 07:21
I love Dwarf fortress! The other day I was unlucky enough to have my upper body punched off by an unconscious goblin with no arms in adventure mode, And my fortress was invaded by goblins and all my soldiers were too busy attending a party that they shouldn't have been able to attend in the first place to stop them. Histories of Perseverance and Incompetence.

S0ny_B1ack
12-13-2011, 22:14
I've attempted to play Dwarf Fortress multiple times, but the learning curve has always knocked me on my ass and left me confused and frustrated. I hear the game can be insanely fun and addictive once you get the hang of it, so I'll most likely open up some beginners guides next time I try.

DF dosn't have a learning curve, it has a learning brick wall :P

I recently tried playing and used some tutorials on you tube to learn the basics (after the in game manual confused me even more)
But i do agree, there is alot to learn.
One of them being, don't build your first fort on the side of an mountain really high up with no trees and just claystone... while better players then me might do well in that situation; i spent an hour too figure out how screwed i was. :p

I was quite lucky with tutorials, since i have a friend who played it a lot (well he told me about it :D) and than we were talking over skype while i played my first fort (i think he played at the same time too), so i got most of my begginer question answered really fast and it helped breaking with my head through the above mentioned brick wall ;)

Currently we have a "multyplayer" game ongoing where we pass a save game to each other after 2 seasons of playing - and the fort gets a lot more interesting when multiple people realises their ideas (or finish things other have left unfinished) :D

Sathra
12-14-2011, 04:14
Or failing the label what the levers do? Or building dozens of levers for no apparent reason?

"There are 3 levers in this room. One refills the water reservoir for the well. One fires the doom weapon. One floods the fort with magma and releases every single caged animal in the fort. They are all made of microcline. What will you choose?"

ZeElfenWaffe
12-14-2011, 04:30
Currently we have a "multyplayer" game ongoing where we pass a save game to each other after 2 seasons of playing - and the fort gets a lot more interesting when multiple people realises their ideas (or finish things other have left unfinished) :D

Also makes for a fun story trying to explain to the person you're passing it onto why there are a pile of headless Minotaurs in the dining room and a group of caged elf merchants above the lava pit.

Sathra
12-14-2011, 04:35
How odd. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Dwarfly even.

Brosama
12-14-2011, 06:08
DF dosn't have a learning curve, it has a learning brick wall :P

Haha, touché.

I felt inspired to take another crack at the game with a few tutorials at hand! After a few hours of fumbling around the confusing GUI, and staring mindlessly at the vast expanses of little symbols, I finally got the hang of some really basic functions. I feel like I've barely scratched the surface though, I think I just dropped a pin on it. Anyways, I'm pretty hooked right now. I've set up a dining room, bedrooms, workshops for my mason and carpenter, and a farm, and so on. Now I'm planning on setting up a brewery so my dwarves can be nice and drunk all year long ;)

P.S: Has anybody played Towns? It's an indie game that's very heavily dwarf fortress inspired. The graphics are really bad though, but I think they're just temporary until the game is out of alpha (I hope).

Sathra
12-14-2011, 06:10
Yep, one of the devs of Towns advertised it on these forums a while back. The graphics have been improving though, and they have a certain charm.

ZeElfenWaffe
12-14-2011, 19:11
Now I'm planning on setting up a brewery so my dwarves can be nice and drunk all year long ;)

If you barter with elf merchants for strawberry seeds and cultivate different types of berries and make beer and wine out of it your dwarfs will be insanely happy, to the point where if something tragic happened like say their spouse gets struck down by a zombie carp, if they have had a glass of strawberry wine recently they will be quite content with recent events.

Sathra
12-15-2011, 04:24
Could also just pick plants, brew them, and plant with the resulting seeds. Depends on how much you care really.

ZeElfenWaffe
12-15-2011, 19:00
I always seem to like starting out on a mountain or in a frozen wasteland. So I kind of forget sometimes that you can just pick berries :o

radister
12-15-2011, 22:24
Okay been trying to get the hang of the games this time and its seems my dwarfs are only fit to have disaster befall them.
my fisherman drowned in the first few minutes, my miner dug into and underground cave fair quickly too. and now one of my dwarfs has gone insane... I have a feeling that this can't be a good thing....

Brosama
12-16-2011, 02:48
my fisherman drowned in the first few minutes, my miner dug into and underground cave fair quickly too. and now one of my dwarfs has gone insane
Haha that sounds fun. I haven't experienced anything like that yet, but one of my dwarves fell down a hole or something, and was knocked unconscious :(.
What are your starting strategies? What kind of rooms do you guys like to build first?

ZeElfenWaffe
12-16-2011, 03:29
The dwarf fortress wiki has a great guide for whats good to build first ( http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Quickstart_guide )

but I'll usually go straight for a dining room/brewery/self-dependent fortress, then workshops, and try to get an early military of a couple squads training to start getting ready for the eventual raids. And adding a giant dormitory can be a pretty easy alternative to bedrooms if you don't feel like designating dig areas for hours and getting them all smoothed out and such.

Sathra
12-16-2011, 04:52
Pretty much. I've found it best to only designate and dig out/dump one section at a time, otherwise your dwarves end up wasting all their time running around.

ZeElfenWaffe
12-16-2011, 05:33
I'm suddenly getting flashbacks of all my dwarfs trying to crawl over each other trying to get to the dump area through a long 1x tile hallway, making dumping the stone out of even the smallest of rooms take several times longer.

Sathra
12-16-2011, 06:40
I just made them in the middle of the staircase (5x5, with 3x1 up stairs and 3x1 down stairs) or 3-tile wide hallways for that very reason.

Now just to figure out how to get my pastured horses to stop trying to kill eachother (and everything else. Those poor, poor mule childs)

Brosama
12-17-2011, 02:15
The only time I'll make my dwarves haul a bunch of stone to a dumpsite is when I'm making a stockpile, otherwise, if it's really bugging me (like in a meeting area where there is a lot of activity), I'll just use the hide command.

ZeElfenWaffe
01-29-2012, 18:07
My long running fortress called "The Brewing of Angelic Anus-Apples" was destroyed today by a tantrum spiral followed by an attack from a small army of troglodytes from the caves beneath my fort, 6 consecutive goblin ambushes and a goblin siege within the same half hour. The final dwarf by the name of Fet "BrushedWhips" Emener the engraver, was struck down by a penguin man, who I had released from my arena after the military died in the hopes that it would kill a few goblins, it did not.

Looking forward to the new release though, supposed to be out within the next couple of weeks, so I've been keeping an eye on the site. Anyone got any plans for the new release?

Strange guy
01-30-2012, 11:36
There's a lot of adventure mode relevant stuff, for which I'm very glad since I gave up on fortress mode due to the 'new' (well 2 years old now) military screen. I guess I'll try to take down/become a vampire, werebeast and necromancer. Having to deal with hunger and thirst might make things a little trickier, but hopefully it will add to rather than detract from the fun.

ZeElfenWaffe
01-30-2012, 14:08
Yeah I was planning to make a necromancer with a small undead army, retire him in a memorably named place, and then see how many adventurers I could waste trying to take him down. The catch of course being if I invest alot of time into making a great adventurer to take him down that he's just going to be turned into a zombie to thwart me in the future. Or maybe I'll gather a group of epic adventurers and then get a necromancer and make them all my zombie slaves, whatever works I guess.

S0ny_B1ack
02-10-2012, 07:16
A friend is currently working on making a settlement in hell :) Actually he said that the innitial demon wave wasn't even that hard to beat, though he keep loosing ido... eeeh dwarfs to one of the demonic races which explodes upon death. Pikeman have proven to be the most effective, but he currently trains as many archers as possible to deal with those exploding guys :D

ZeElfenWaffe
02-14-2012, 09:07
As I have no life whatsoever I am able to inform you all that the new dwarf fortress content update has released within the last couple hours, feature list available on the site,so be sure to post the funny bugs we're all sure to encounter for this release.

silenced
07-06-2014, 23:23
*digs ... digs and digs deeper* Ah, there it is! I love thread-necromancy in the morning.

Just wanted to 'remind' that DF2014 maybe released 'soonish'. Then it's this time of the year again ... bugs over bugs and sleepless nights and days.

Extreme Boyheat
07-07-2014, 01:02
Can't wait for climbing goblins, now lava moats look even more appealing early game.

Manbearzombie
07-07-2014, 09:00
Do any of you utilize "dwarven daycare" to train the ultimate warriors?

TrashMan
07-07-2014, 17:01
A Dwarf Fortress with a re-design interface and graphics would be a dream game.
Why is no one making it?
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

Extreme Boyheat
07-08-2014, 01:16
Because it would be too simple. Check out Gnomoria.

Jean-Luc
07-08-2014, 05:32
So the gameplay complexity of DF is entirely based on the obtuseness of its interface and visuals?

silenced
07-08-2014, 07:26
No. It's complexity is all the stuff that happens and you have to handle it. Dwarves get strange moods, they get pets, they get friends, they get married, they get children, they craft superb items ... so far for the easy part. It becomes interesting when children get snatched, stuff someone loved gets stolen, a dwarf dies due to an accident and is missed by his friends, goblins or elves or trolls or whatever invades or sieges the fortress ... a necromancer comes by and revives dead stuff ... and much much more. Handling a tantrum spiral is quite hard, a strange mood dwarf the goes berserk and is a legendary wrestler can kill half your fort, or a vampire dwarf that drains your dwarves of blood and you don't find out who it is can cause some damage, unhappy dwarves are dangerous.

Keeping everything in balance is what makes it worth. Sometimes you simply can't do anything about.

The interface is quite nice once you got into it. But getting in is a steep curve.

In the end every fort will fall.

Oh, and v0.40.01 has been released toady, erm, today.

TrashMan
07-08-2014, 07:35
Well said Jean-Luc.

Optimized interface means just that. And interface where vital (and often needed) data is easy to access and where action are organized in a clean and simple fashion.

That means that you DON'T have to go trough 245 clicks to create a dwarf milita squad or set up production or whatever.

Let's be honest here - I played DF. I love it, but the interface is a MESS.

Extreme Boyheat
07-08-2014, 09:58
Psh bit of an overstatement. Plus there's Dwarf Therapist for super easy militia-ing.