PDA

View Full Version : Submit mascot/representative for marketing purposes

Wolfpox
10-20-2011, 07:32
I was thinking that Xenonauts could really use a cool or lovable character to represent the game in marketing and general internet love-spreading. Right now the game doesn't have much attitude, and it will be perceived as sterile and generic -- I love what I have seen so far, but that's just how strangers will perceive it.

The X-COM units and aliens were iconic, even if they were kind of goofy, and this gave it a certain "flavor". I think the community could submit drawings to use for marketing, such as you'd see on the "Box Art" for a traditional game.

My own idea is to use one of the "talking heads" that are apparently going to be implemented into the base management UI. These characters need to be interesting and appealing, they can't afford to be seen as lifeless or dull. Basically what this means is that their face needs to speak volumes about who they are, how they think, and how they carry themselves in the face of alien crisis.

I'll submit a drawing or two if the idea is approved, or wait and see what kind of thoughts the team has on it.

Gauddlike
10-20-2011, 07:37
Sadly my artistic skills tend to lead me in the direction of stickmen.
Sometimes they even have the right proportions/number of limbs.
I do look forward to seeing anything the more artistically inclined amongst us can produce though ;)

Jecrell
10-20-2011, 07:56
Marketing? Mascot?

Clearly we need Hello Kitty the Xenonaut.
http://img7.imagebanana.com/img/6zronl9y/thumb/xenonaut.jpg (http://www.imagebanana.com/view/6zronl9y/xenonaut.jpg)

In all seriousness, I think rather than a 'mascot' perhaps an 'icon' would be better? Like Goldhawk Interactive has a very simple and effective icon.

[EDIT]
Then again...
Mascots really do create that memorability factor...
HMMMMMM

Sathra
10-20-2011, 08:37
Caesan or Andron plushies?
A smiling Sebillian?

Could have one of those trio things. Sebillian or Andron in front, holding one of the huge alien weapons across the body, and standing behind it, slightly to the left and right respectively, a soldier in jackal armour with a laser rifle aiming to the left and Caesan with a pistol looking to the right.

How's that?

Chris
10-20-2011, 09:35
Yeah, this is something we've been grappling with for a while. The game is intentionally a bit sterile, which is part of the effect - but then for marketing purposes that's not ideal.

Obviously we're not valve, but something like Portal's companion cube or its turrets would be a good thing. Maybe a plush version of the Reaper, which is the Chryssalid-a-like? But then that only appears late in the game. It's a tough one.

anotherdevil
10-20-2011, 09:42
I was thinking that Xenonauts could really use a cool or lovable character to represent the game in marketing and general internet love-spreading.
Hmmm gonna be hard making a loveable alien character whose come to rip your guts out and steal the little ones for some anal probage!

Right now the game doesn't have much attitude, and it will be perceived as sterile and generic -- I love what I have seen so far, but that's just how strangers will perceive it.
Wow, be careful of what you say here mate. Also you're a bit contradictory, why wouldn't visitors see it the same as you, which seems to be sterile, generic (and lovable?)

I like the plushy idea though, or little interceptor toys. The problem is, Wolfpox, that we know so little of the aliens and their technology that it wouldn't be fair to try and make a mascot out of what we know (3 species...), rather leave it up to the professionals with their superior knowledge of the game. But that's me, go ahead and knock yourself out if you want to post something. I'll critique it! =]

Sathra
10-20-2011, 09:48
I really want an Andron plushie for some reason. They're just so cute. :D

Could always do what EU did. Have some monstrous alien mascot that has nothing to do with the game whatsoever. That fly-octopus-tentaculat-thing.

Chris
10-20-2011, 09:58
For the logo or the Xenonaut badge, the white alien head against a black circle could work. We're sort of missing a logo too, unfortunately...

Gauddlike
10-20-2011, 10:19
The white alien head symbol stamped over with a large Xenonauts X.
It has the benefit of showing the alien crossed out and shows its the Xenonauts that are doing the crossing.
Just need a convincing Xeno X now...

Sathra
10-20-2011, 10:19
Like the crash-site symbol?

And somehow, having said symbol also having a Chryssalid smile is just far too funny.

Gauddlike
10-20-2011, 10:26
If a Chryssalid smiles you know someone is in for a good zombifying.

Jean-Luc
10-20-2011, 13:59
I can only submit my earlier Caesan related "work". :p Seems the forum doesn't support spoiler tags (only temporarily I hope) so I'll just post links.

Original (for the uninitiated):
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/6921/caesan.jpg

Pimp:
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/450/caesanpimpglassescopy.jpg

Santa:
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/1264/caesansanta.jpg

Not sure if I'd actually use this to market anything. Except pimp hats maybe.

Gazz
10-20-2011, 14:04
I think it should be something helpful, not a dastardly enemy.

Maybe a spider grenade or grenade carrier that can deploy legs and scurry around a corner.
A movement range of maybe 7 tiles, it doesn't "see" anything so all it's good for is "throwing" a grenade through a door or around a corner without exposing the soldier.

Not as over-the-top as the nuclear cruise missiles of X-Com but limited to very short range... and the power of a grenade.

Could be an extra item that you "load" with a grenade, limiting it's availability though inventory space.

Back in the base, there could be a small animation in the barracks of soldiers using one of those to carry beer cans...

------------------------------------------

If the flamethrower really ends up as cool as in your description (http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php?22-Flamethrower-Mechanics&p=180&viewfull=1#post180),
maybe that one could become a "token weapon".
Who could ever forget the Firebat? Need a light? =)

------------------------------------------

I can only submit my earlier Caesan related "work". :p Seems the forum doesn't support spoiler tags (only temporarily I hope) so I'll just post links.
Oh, ya! The Mauve!
Every old alien-shooting game has greys. Booooooring!

anotherdevil
10-20-2011, 19:01
I can only submit my earlier Caesan related "work"
I forgot about those! They certainly brought a smile to my lips!

Like the crash-site symbol?

And somehow, having said symbol also having a Chryssalid smile is just far too funny.
I like this. But it should be the skull of whatever Chris' "worse than a chrysalid" is. That way wild tangents on what it really is could spiral throughout the forum, as the rumour mill gets up to speed

Also how do you just quote part of someone's post?

Gazz
10-20-2011, 19:16
Also how do you just quote part of someone's post?
Umm, edit out what you don't want?

BTW, you know that you can click or double-click the REPLY / QUOTE buttons? Pretty elegant system.

MickeyC
10-20-2011, 20:29

BTW, you know that you can click or double-click the REPLY / QUOTE buttons? Pretty elegant system.

I like the sound of the skull, something clearly alien, but not something directly visible in game ... conspiracy theorists could even have a play with an alien skull

anotherdevil
10-20-2011, 21:34

Nope doesn't work. I tried double clicking and it just gave me your entire text again. I even clicked the little button for multiple quotes from one post. Did nothing as far as I can tell.

And the reason I ask is because often people would say a lot, and I would often break it down and try and talk about each piece separately. Rather than having to delete stuff and then copy and paste the start and end of quote thingys, it was much easier in the previous system where you just highlighted what you wanted to talk about and then quote that. Then rinse and repeat.

Gazz
10-21-2011, 19:20
As for a logo...

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/games/

Now this is just ugly. It hurts.

How about the
XENONAUTS lettering with the "O" being an alien head?
Not very creative, I know, but probably better'n nothing.

And not white-on-black, either. Looks like an alpha mask. =P

Or... shape it like some sort of pin or unit insignia.
Use a modified "Goldhawk" gripping the Earth globe.
"Xenonauts" is probably too long to fit well but XENO might work.
Some made-up acronym like XGDF for Xenonauts Global Defense Force would be pretty cryptic and not roll of the tongue well. Doesn't work well for a military sounding acronym.
For that purpose you'd want something like XDEF for Xenonauts Defense Force. Something pronouncable.
Or simply the "X". Goes well with the unit insignia theme.

So... could be the globe overlaying the X.
Or the X in the background again, and on it the hawk-globe dealy.
The globe should be somewhere in the mix although a stylised solar system or at least a handful of stars might work, too. A spacey theme.

Aleksi
10-21-2011, 22:49
Clearly we need Hello Kitty the Xenonaut.
http://img7.imagebanana.com/img/6zronl9y/thumb/xenonaut.jpg (http://www.imagebanana.com/view/6zronl9y/xenonaut.jpg)

Sathra
10-22-2011, 03:51
Priceless.

Gazz
10-22-2011, 11:36
Doodling...

The faint white borders are only from doing a hack job with the JPG conversion. The original is a vector graphic.

The globe is from
http://de.fotolia.com/search?k=27053295
I didn't have any credits left there so I didn't buy it. Getting/drawing a globe like that surely won't tax your artist's abilities, though. =P

Gazz
10-22-2011, 14:55
Trying Things With Wings

anotherdevil
10-22-2011, 21:25
What about some of the Xenonauts rank badges? They could work, no?

MickeyC
10-23-2011, 00:07
What about some of the Xenonauts rank badges? They could work, no?

Rank badges is an idea, though I do like a few of the emblems with wings Gazz has done up

Wolfpox
10-23-2011, 08:54

PLEASE NOTE:

This is just an idea for the general "effect", and the rational:

It's iconic, but it says a lot

- It has the horned-rimmed glasses and neat hair of the 60's, thus indicating the era without having to explain
- It's a scientist (doesn't come across too well here, but a better artist could do it) thus indicating the smart nature of the game, the emphasis on research, and the general "sci-fi" themes
- It looks serious and clean (or it would) thus being good for promotion
- and it uses some 60's style boldness [see example (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/208/505588680_32a5879dd2.jpg)]

Hmmm gonna be hard making a loveable alien character whose come to rip your guts out and steal the little ones for some anal probage!

I didn't think it needs to be an alien. When a person sees an alien, their mind kind of lumps all aliens together and makes it feel less interesting than a person. If you wanted to do a plushie, that would be awesome, but the marketing image would need to say more about the game/setting/vibe than just "this game has aliens"

Wow, be careful of what you say here mate. Also you're a bit contradictory, why wouldn't visitors see it the same as you, which seems to be sterile, generic (and lovable?)

I'm not worried about what I say, it's just the reality of perception. Even great things get reduced to a simple word in the consumer's mind, and if it doesn't pop out with something unique, it will be thought of as generic or sterile. Being generic/sterile can be good, since it means the visuals are more mature, intellectual and almost "simulation", rather than trying to be badass.

I don't think revealing alien species is necessary at all, and that merchandise should wait until the game becomes a hit. Until then, the important thing is just to communicate what kind of game/setting it is, and setting a certain "tone". This game has the potential to reach out to more people than the pool of players who have been desperately looking for an X-COM clone, you know?

Gauddlike
10-23-2011, 10:09
A few world war 2 style posters might make good adverts.
That is what your image reminds me of Wolfpox.
I am thinking of the ones with catchy phrases like "Loose lips sink ships" and "Keep Calm and Carry on" but with an alien inflection.
Have to have a think and see what I can come up with.

For a logo I have an image in my head of a globe that has a stylised Xenonaut X in front with the four ends wrapping around behind it.
Shows the Earth and puts the Xenonauts standing in front of it but curled round it protectively.
Something like this but with significantly more skill.

Gazz
10-23-2011, 10:18
With the shape of that X it looks a lot like the WW1 german war flag. =)

Wolfpox
10-23-2011, 10:24
Something like this but with significantly more skill.

I see what you're getting at, that's a great idea. Wrapping around is a perfect indicator of defense from things from space, it says a lot

Gauddlike
10-23-2011, 10:31
With the shape of that X it looks a lot like the WW1 german war flag. =)
Lol yeah I noticed that about the font after I had finished doing it but hoped no one would point it out.
Thanks Gazz!

Gazz
10-23-2011, 10:36
Always a pleasure. =P

Captain Obvious, that's me alright!

Hmm. Maybe some kind of fence, grid, iron bars... with with the X worked into part of it.

Could be tied into the typical "snaking" course of satellites in a non-synchronous orbit.

Elydo
10-23-2011, 10:55
Not mine, but I laughed very hard when I came across it.

X-COM ponies: 37

More seriously, the general feel of the game to me has been somewhat minimalist. I'd be cautious of trying to bling it up in the final stages. Any icon or mascot should keep with the art style of the game, IMHO, it is one of the advertised 'hooks'.

Maybe a winged starburst with an X crossing most of the central 'burst' but not quite all of it?

Sathra
10-23-2011, 10:58
Haha. Awesome.

anotherdevil
10-23-2011, 23:34
Hmm. Maybe some kind of fence, grid, iron bars... with with the X worked into part of it.
It could just be me, but it kind of looks like the earth is a write off (read:it looks like a no earth here sign). Also putting it behind bars doesn't really inspire me to save the world, rather I think something that shows the world under attack (as opposed to already subdued) would be better.

Perhaps a world with several alien ships in front of it/ or heading towards it?

Wolfpox
10-24-2011, 02:05
Yeah, no iron bars or fence. That's imprisonment, not protection.

I'm a bit disappointed that nobody wants to focus on a human character

Black_Legion
10-24-2011, 02:28
There just doesn't seem to be enough assets out in the demo right now that we can use. This will change with the beta as the tech tree is opened up and we get to play around with the new aliens, but for right know what we have is sparse.

Since Xenonauts takes place during the cold war era, we could emulate some of the posters or badges that existed during that time. Examples follow, mainly I'm taking some USSR posters and propaganda because its so damn iconic. That is exactly what we need (something iconic and instantly recognizable).

Maybe something along these lines?

MickeyC
10-24-2011, 03:19
Ok I'm no good with artwork myself but a couple of ideas:

Something like this but having the Goldhawk in the middle and "Xenonauts ... (insert additional text here)", the additional being either the motto that is decided on or other.

Other thought is just to go something simple with a layout like:

But having the symbol being a stylised "X" and the text just Xenonauts and obviously changing the colour shceme to match the game.

anotherdevil
10-24-2011, 08:57
I like some of these poster ideas! Well done you guys!

Also I'm a fan of the art work you did on the man Wolfpox, but as Black_Legion said, we just don't know enough about the talking heads to say at the moment

Wolfpox
10-24-2011, 09:06
Well the point is to give them ideas. I don't think there's any harm in contributing suggestions, and frankly I'm worried that the talking heads may not be taking into consideration the promotional aspect that they could be used for

Gazz
10-24-2011, 10:15
But having the symbol being a stylised "X" and the text just Xenonauts and obviously changing the colour shceme to match the game.
Don't think that works - regardless of the colour scheme.

MickeyC
10-24-2011, 10:21
Don't think that works - regardless of the colour scheme.

hmmm, no not really when seeing them like that. I had been thinking more in terms of an actual "X" however, rather than the block triangles, something more like the "X" that Gauddlike put up earlier in this thread

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25&d=1319364487

not specifically this, but stylised in that fashion

Gauddlike
10-24-2011, 15:29
The problem with putting a human face to the game is that not everyone will be able to identify with it.
Now you could use the talking heads as part of the imagery and use them IF they are good enough and not just forgettable generic faces.
A poster for each with a tag line related to the field they represent would work.
Show how each section feels about the conflict.
My art skills are not up to human faces though so I will leave that to others.

Black_Legion
10-24-2011, 18:15
So for each field or department they would have a poster and motto?

Something along the lines of having the R&D department being represented by something like these posters:

http://home.earthlink.net/~rkkman/frames/imagepage/25_cover.jpg
http://thinkingouttabox.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/1958-study-the-soviet-union-science.jpg?w=497&h=344
http://www.designsdelight.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/posters-library.jpg

Along with a motto along the lines of "Through Knowledge, Victory!" or some such?

anotherdevil
10-24-2011, 18:59
I have an idea, but no art skill to knock it up. Wolfpox, if you feel up to it perhaps you could try?

Basically I imagine something like your previous, but in two different styles. Each one has 3 men in it, the most prominent is always a soldier, either in uniform and helmet, or in regalia, depending on what looks better. Now the layout is either soldier in the centre, with a scientist and engineer on either side of him, all looking outwards.

Probably all busts of them, soldier looks forwards, and the two others are slightly smaller, slightly behind the soldier, and look out towards their edges. This gets across the soldier aspect of the game, but also represents the strategy with the engineer and scientist.

The other idea is like the first one posted by Black_Legion, where the three men all face the same way.

Also I think add some colour to it. Keep it mainly black and white, but add some yellow in there (black and yellow are stereotypical of danger warnings etc.)

Also a last idea is like this, but replace the soldier with a xenonaut and change up the colours:

anotherdevil
10-24-2011, 19:03
Also here are the rank insignia from the old forum:

and some by Erafiel:

and one by Jean-Luc:

Jean-Luc
10-26-2011, 16:59
The enthusiastic rookie. Eager to fight for humanity with nothing but a grenade, stun baton and some guts behind (and likely all over) them. Get yours now for only 39.999$.

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/7339/xnaut.jpg

Gauddlike
10-26-2011, 17:17
Took me a while to realise that was the world behind him.
Thought it was the aforementioned guts.

Gazz
10-26-2011, 18:01
The topmost of Erafiel's insignia suggestions doesn't look bad.
The others, well... we don't really want to see Earth in anyone's crosshairs. =)

Mylar
10-26-2011, 18:43
Some good ideas here, so no claim to originality in my suggestion.

You are in the middle of the cold war, tensions are high and the superpowers are spending crazy resources to protect themselves from each other, or at least make their citizens feel protected. Suddenly the focus of aggression changes, you no longer have to worry about nukes falling from the skies, enemies are now friends in the face of a new threat.

There is no time to build a new arsenal customized for the coming war. Military assets are being repurposed for the offense. Civil defense assets would have to undergo a similar shift.

I'm betting your art guys could make a pretty nice looking version of this. I grabbed the shelter sign image off google images and used paint to modify it, didn't take the time to break out the Gimp since it was just a quick concept post.

It would tie in well with the recruitment posters mentioned above and 50's style PSA flyers telling people to report alien activity and basically just hide till the Xenonauts come rescue you. For videos you could do some civil defense shorts. I'm guessing it would not be easy to gets the rights to use Bert the turtle from Duck and Cover, but Arnold the Armidillo (or somesuch) would work just as well.

Like our friend Arnold, you should Arm youself with knowledge of your nearest invasion shelters!

Like our friend Arnold, you should Always seek cover in case of alien activity!

See there, Arnold knows better than to try to fight Aliens. He curls into his defensive shell and waits for the Xenonaughts to come clean up those pesky invaders.

Like Arnold the Armidillo Always says...
(Armidillo speaking in the governators's voice) Always report Alien Activity!

Or somesuch, you get the idea.
The biggest worry here is not stepping on the toes of the marketing for the Fallout series of games.

Anyway, First post.
Hi.

? Mylar the Incomprehensible ?

Gauddlike
10-26-2011, 19:00
Down side to that is the secret status of the organisation.
Doesn't mean they can't be used though ;)

Chris
10-26-2011, 20:35
Something like this (click for bigger)?

anotherdevil
10-26-2011, 20:35
I quite like it actually, the fallout shelter redistributed. Just make it look like someone tagged it and then there is no reason the xenonauts ever need be mentioned.

The FMV trailer, well maybe not that. I wonder if Chris has any advertising thought up yet? Will make a thread on it

And I don't think there is a problem with standing on fallout's toes, after all their marketing is just that, it's not their game, so I don't see why they'd have any problems.

Plus make sure any posters etc. are more 70s specific, not futuristic 50s and you should be fine!

MickeyC
10-26-2011, 20:43
Yeah the defaced fallout shelter could work well and certainly fits the period

Gazz
10-26-2011, 23:14
Something like this (click for bigger)?
The alien head may be okay for a windows "start" link but as a logo to represent the Xenonauts "organisation", I think it fails.

It's not very, I dunno, self-respecting? Bashful?

It represents a threat.. something to be afraid of. Not the pride in serving or defending something. Completely wrong symbolism, IMO.

The symbolism of the Xenonauts calls for something like "world", "wings" (they are effectively an airborne outfit), "defiance / defense", "technology / research".
The "X" can be worked into that but it's not a requirement.
Adding weapons like rifles is always an option. Maybe crossing a rifle with a slide gauge, kinda like in my avatar, forming... an X.

Mylar
10-27-2011, 18:09
Something like this

Thats great, and I envy your alien head, it took me around a dozen tries to get the one I did on the fallout sign to be recognizeable as an alien and still look like it was spraypainted on in a hurry.

I was not using the fallout shelter sign as a template, the idea was that as word spread about the aliens people would be changing the structures and defenses that already existed to help in the new struggle. So I was looking at taking various cold war era artifacts and imagining how people would have to modify them if the threat suddenly shifted away from the soviets/americans starting WW3.

Sorry about missing on the whole "secret org" thing, In the original X-coms it never really felt that much like we were keeping the invasion a secret, though that may have been my perception based on my rather odd playstyle. I'm a newcomer to this project, I had seen it here and there, but I've been burned by so many false starts at x-com remakes I was holding off getting excited and made myself ignore y'all till you starting showing up in my various Pulse feeds recently.

And yeah, obviously the repurposed fallout sign is not a primary logo for the game, I was just taking a bunch of things people had mentioned earlier and glomming them together as a possible line of marketing.

As far as a game logo goes, does anyone remember the old New World Computing logo, like from the Planet's Edge days... Man that thing was ok on paper, but in motion it as so much better, the sword piercing the planet with the banner scrolling around.

Say you end up going with one of the planet behind a logo sugestions above...

Rotating planet in the forefront, two rifles (assult, sniper, laser, whatever) crossed behind it. A little flying saucer ( campy wahwahwah engine noise) floats in from one of the top corners gets shot by one of the weapons as it crosses the path of possible fire. Ufo crash lands on the planet which stops spinning centered on the crash site. The crossed weapons blend into flat grey rectangles and start rotating around the edge of the planet (helicopter starting noise running in the backgrond). The old mission targeting crosshair beeps it's way to sit over the crash site as the chopper blades get up to speed and fade in behind the planet, the helicopter strafing off to one side to emerge from behind the planet. Helicopter shrinks as it nears the crash site, when it reaches it the logo slams down over the planet, forming the logo.

See there I go again, no suggestion for the logo, jsut something to do with it once you have it. Man I suck at staying on topic.

Chris
11-02-2011, 22:46
BTW, the Xenonauts are only meant to be secret up until the point the alien invasion starts. After that, they're no longer secret - all the planes and helicopters flying around would give the game away...

MickeyC
11-02-2011, 22:54
BTW, the Xenonauts are only meant to be secret up until the point the alien invasion starts. After that, they're no longer secret - all the planes and helicopters flying around would give the game away...

Old habits, Chris. A secret organisation isn't going to suddenly publicise just because they, and their activities, begin to be known. Over time certainly but not straight away I wouldn't have thought

Chris
11-02-2011, 22:58
You'd think the governments who are expecting them to save their asses might mention them, though.

MickeyC
11-02-2011, 23:01
True, hadn't thought of that. Might only mention it to other governments to try and drum up more diverse, and less personal, funding at first though. Rather than public announcing

Sathra
11-03-2011, 03:23
Better than my idea of how to keep a highly active anti-alien organisation secret. The LP's version of X-com is basically a globally funded terrorist group that just happens to attack the aliens most of the time.

anotherdevil
11-03-2011, 10:18
To be fair Sathra, you only get us to kill civilians when they might reveal our presence. Right?

Actually, HOW did you capture all those weasels...?

Sathra
11-03-2011, 10:26
Ordered the weasels from PETA, or do you mean re-capture?. Also, the actual X-com troopers don't kill civilians (on purpose), the recovery teams and intelligence agents do. Its due to the anti-alien missions being 'official' business, so X-com proper isn't meant to kill humans while on them. They are, however, required to cause major structural damage on terror missions as a cover story. The recovery teams don't bring the ordnance necessary to do so themselves, and are busy finding, interviewing and executing the surviving civilians.

Its all for a good cause though. People are less likely to panic if its just 'terrorist attacks' compared to 'alien invasion'.

Wolfpox
11-06-2011, 11:31
Realistically, the morale of the people would be absolutely ZERO if they didn't know about a top-shape international organization doing what it could to save the world. I mean, look at the "Red Scare" and the patriotism people had, the spy films, the glorification of espionage, the terror of nuclear war... These things are all incomparable to fucking ALIENS!

Back on the logo/advertising idea though, Chris what do you think of having some stylized portraits of scientists and stuff? Use some 60's fashion, some '60s advertising boldness, and try to make it look kind of mysterious and sleek so that people will be intrigued by the idea of science, engineering, and combat

anotherdevil
11-06-2011, 20:43
I mean, look at the "Red Scare" and the patriotism people had, the spy films, the glorification of espionage, the terror of nuclear war... These things are all incomparable to fucking ALIENS!
I think I would find aliens having sex quite scary! Unless they looked like Liara =p

Back on the logo/advertising idea though, Chris what do you think of having some stylized portraits of scientists and stuff? Use some 60's fashion, some '60s advertising boldness, and try to make it look kind of mysterious and sleek so that people will be intrigued by the idea of science, engineering, and combat
I'd be keen to see more posters in line with the scientist one from before, that one was good, though perhaps a soldier and/or a engineer this time!

Black_Legion
11-07-2011, 02:26
I think delving into the realm of cryptosexology relating to the alien menace may be out of scope for Xenonauts entirely. I'm going to hazard a guess and say they are either clones or reproduce with spores, like the Orks in 40K.

I do like the idea of having the stylized posters as an icon/mascot though. Integrating that Cold War "look and feel" would be very nice.

Sathra
11-07-2011, 03:53
I think I would find aliens having sex quite scary! Unless they looked like Liara =p

...Damn it AD.

anotherdevil
11-07-2011, 04:11
What?!? He said it, not me!

Or don't you think Liara is, um, 'aesthetically pleasing'...?

Sathra
11-07-2011, 04:16
Was always more of a Tali fan myself. That voice...*sigh*.

Also, don't rule 34 stuff! (except maybe in the off-topic section, but keep it vague. Children read that apparently)

anotherdevil
11-07-2011, 04:44
But, but, but DADDY! Wolfpox said the 'f' word =p

Sweet as, will do

Sathra
11-07-2011, 04:54
Yes he did. Some cursing is okay (i.e. not excessive). I'd prefer if people could avoid the 'bad swears' though, this is a game forum, not a political/religious one.

Anyways, we have gone off-topic!
Mascots...I like the generic alien head really. It has a stark simplicity to it that blends well with the game itself.

Black_Legion
11-07-2011, 18:54
http://api.ning.com/files/pHHESlMWb1AcmPCVM3y7-Lxa-zjGJxTNsDRQpQDpWGhqs9NE6yFrQ-fYaJWI0VbKGA9jjkkrfWZL2dP0qQL6tlMNhFOTOa**/AlienSkull18986.jpg?width=635&height=600

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/292181/292181,1229416015,2/stock-photo-alien-skull-isolated-on-white-22110238.jpg

These skulls, which are fake of course, could be used as a starting point for the icon. Any thoughts?

anotherdevil
11-07-2011, 19:51
looks good. Check it against a picture of one of the greys (or whatever their name is) and modify from there!

Sathra
11-08-2011, 02:59
Its pretty close to a Caesan's head. They've got really tall brain-cases though.

GrumpySage
11-08-2011, 07:26
Reading this thread and getting some ideas.

A slogan (inspired of post #42 by Black_Legion):

Through knowledge and research,
Through strength of arms,
Through xxx,
VICTORY!

So what are the primary parts of the game? We need to convey that (especially if this is to be used as coverart/to 'sell' the game).

I would say primary parts are:
-Air combat
-Ground combat
-Research
-Production

Through knowledge and research, (research)
Through strength of arms, (production)
Through air superiority, (air combat)
Through tactical ingenuity, (ground combat)
VICTORY!

I really like the artstyle that wolfpox did. I was thinking a smaller picture before/after each sentence, showing each part of the game (either in that style or the style that the game is already presented in).

Two examples, using Paint and whatever pictures I could find online. First has the Xenonauts logo, the other has the Geoscape.

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/2262/xeno1.png

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/5632/xeno2.png

One could put a thin white line from each sentence to the corresponding picture. I actually wanted to put the pictures in a single column, but that would make them too small (or the poster too big). Might be doable with art made specifically for this.

anotherdevil
11-08-2011, 19:40
Those attachments don't work... =[

GrumpySage
11-09-2011, 07:29
Links should be fixed now. I put them on Imageshack as they were very small when uploaded here.

I'm glad I didn't delete the pictures as I considered!