PDA

View Full Version : Conquest 2 Vyrium Uprising

XenoMask
05-23-2012, 19:00
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1869102574/conquest-2-vyrium-uprising-rts-fans-unite?ref=category

This kickstarter seems to be getting sad ending =/ Devs have been trying to do the game for years, but they don't seem to have any luck in kickstarter either. I guess original game is forgotten by now so nobody remembers it. Also no game journalism site wants to cover it.

Do game journalism sites have something against kickstarters now?

Jean-Luc
05-23-2012, 20:11
Oh my deity, I remember Conquest. Sadly I never finished the campaign but it was a really great space RTS. I loved those human "iron clad" ships with their WWII battleship turrets. Having your slow lumbering fleet caught in an asteroid field (which slows them down even more) by a swarm of mantis fighters was terrifying.

It was a really nice combination of territory control, supply system, fighter mechanics, fleet battles and the music was awesome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKMk9tDPE2s&feature=related).

I guess original game is forgotten by now so nobody remembers it. Also no game journalism site wants to cover it.

Pretty much, it never was a famous brand and, as mentioned, the press is tired of covering KS campaigns as they've gotten very "bandwagony" and repetitive. As much as I want this game made their goal seems way to unrealistic (675k) considering the circumstances.

XenoMask
05-23-2012, 20:44
Yeah. I hope I manage to bring enough attention to the project that it will get at least some notability. Maybe it would encourage devs try again at later date.

thothkins
05-23-2012, 23:29
shame. From the first video you can see how much it means to the developer.

They've also gone to a bit of trouble in the video and it's nicely put together mixing the serious with some light hearted humour. However, it doesn't show you anything of the game until far too late in it. Attention spans will have long moved on.

By the time you hear that they are half way through, you've seen the ludicrously high target and assumed they are starting form scratch.

You do get to add your voice to the game. That's a nice one that would work for Xenonauts.

Little voiceovers. You could hear Cpl Hicks look at the battlescape and request additional firepower "Nuke it from orbit" You could hear Li'l thothkins say "I ain't getting outta no damn Chinook." Record your own pitiable scream to be put into the game to show a Xenonaut being cut down by plasma fire. Endless possibilities there.

kovyakov
05-24-2012, 04:34
This Conquest game is like Homeworld?

XenoMask
05-24-2012, 05:05
shame. From the first video you can see how much it means to the developer.

They've also gone to a bit of trouble in the video and it's nicely put together mixing the serious with some light hearted humour. However, it doesn't show you anything of the game until far too late in it. Attention spans will have long moved on.

By the time you hear that they are half way through, you've seen the ludicrously high target and assumed they are starting form scratch.

You do get to add your voice to the game. That's a nice one that would work for Xenonauts.

Little voiceovers. You could hear Cpl Hicks look at the battlescape and request additional firepower "Nuke it from orbit" You could hear Li'l thothkins say "I ain't getting outta no damn Chinook." Record your own pitiable scream to be put into the game to show a Xenonaut being cut down by plasma fire. Endless possibilities there.

I agree with you about the promotion, I mean, they do have gameplay demo.. But its demo of original game.

Jean-Luc
05-24-2012, 14:46
This Conquest game is like Homeworld?

It's more like Sins of a Solar Empire except that ships have limited ammo (supplies) so you have to think about logistics (supply ships/bases) more. But you can move between systems via wormholes just like in SOASE. Ships have special abilities as well but they also use up supply.

XenoMask
05-24-2012, 17:24
Hmm, ya know, I know that original game isn't as popular as other games and that Kickstarter boom isn't as large right now, but there are lots of thing devs could have done better with this project =/ I mean, there aren't footage of game on page, their official site is kind of... Well, not impressive looking though it has info and pics that devs assumed people would check and they don't have twitter, facebook, tumblr or other things to promote with

Jean-Luc
05-24-2012, 17:52
I think you're right to an extent but I also don't think it would've made much difference considering the state of things now.

Yes, more game footage would've been welcome (I understand they have a playable build) and the screenshots on the official site appear to be from the original rather than the sequel.

Though I'd say there's nothing too wrong with their KS presentation overall.

XenoMask
05-24-2012, 18:06
Yeah, I know it wouldn't have probably helped much =/ But anything more is better than nothing

I think their screen shots might actually be from older version of Conquest 2... I mean, it was originally announced around... 2004? I can't remember

Gauddlike
05-24-2012, 18:25
I looked at that page a while ago and all I saw were a few banners, nothing from the game at all.
They didn't seem to have anything new, just to be recapping the old game.
They were asking for a lot of money and had nothing much to show for it.
Got to admit though I didn't get far into the intro video.

XenoMask
05-24-2012, 18:38
I looked at that page a while ago and all I saw were a few banners, nothing from the game at all.
They didn't seem to have anything new, just to be recapping the old game.
They were asking for a lot of money and had nothing much to show for it.
Got to admit though I didn't get far into the intro video.

Thats pretty much what I meant =/ Campaign could have done little better if there were more details about new game.

Gotta wonder though why they didn't put Twitter link on Kickstarter page...*sigh*

Gauddlike
05-24-2012, 18:48
I am not big on RTS games, they really don't appeal to me.
If they had wanted to sell it they would have needed something that really stood out.
They didn't have anything.

The other problem I had was that I wasn't familiar with the original.
They talk about the new game for a few lines then start talking about the old one again, I lost track of which one they were referring to.
That put me off.

KS is a whole new type of marketing for some people, they are unlikely to get it 'right' without a whole lot of research, a good deal of experience, and a healthy dash of luck.