PDA

View Full Version : Secondary Mission Objectives

Loki45
11-03-2011, 17:06
I was reading the project status and noticed that in the list there was a mention of adding secondary mission objectives. What are these going to be? Is this essentially getting a new objective during a battle such as rescuing a hostage or something? It sounds interesting whatever it might be.

Sathra
11-03-2011, 21:54
The ones we've been told of so far are in terror missions. Various landsmarks and special locations, defended by NPC troops. If they're still intact at battle end you get bonus points, which result in increased nation happiness.

anotherdevil
11-03-2011, 22:46
Also for example on regular UFO recovery missions, you can capture and hold the UFO for 5 turns, rather than having to run around and find every last alien on the battlefield

Elydo
11-04-2011, 00:55
That's not so much a secondary objective as an alternate primary objective ad. Secondary missions should be non-mission-critical, they provide a bonus but if you fail them you don't fail the mission, if you complete them you still need to complete the mission. Aside from the terror mission examples, I'm not certain we've been told of any other types of secondary objective, though some ideas for them present themselves: capture an alien leader present during a mission alive, capture an example of new tech, don't destroy over a certain amount of the battlefield, don't kill civvies, evac a vip from a city...

Lots of options, but it depends on what Chris has in mind. And maybe securing the ufo for a set number of turns is exactly what he meant by a secondary objective, but I'd quibble with the definition ; )

anotherdevil
11-04-2011, 01:06
I guess you're right about the definitions, I was more just trying to explain that things in Xenonauts wont be always the same old as in X-COM, that's all.

Sathra
11-04-2011, 02:28
Hmm, another secondary objective could be: Kill every alien in a base attack (their base, not yours). You don't have to, but you can and should get much better rewards. Chris did mention upping the loot for base attacks to make them more worthwhile, so having a full clear give you much higher amounts of loot would work into that as well.

xxdanlongxx
11-04-2011, 06:17
I think it would be cool to get bonuses for not destroying structures as well. What if there was some awesome reward or alien tech inside of a building that got destroyed if you blew up the walls?

Loki45
11-04-2011, 13:10
That's cool. It will be nice to have a little variety in what you are called to do. It is cool doing UFO recovery missions and terror site missions, but adding something unusual that may not be as important as normal missions would be cool too especially if there is something unique to be gotten from it.

Sathra
11-04-2011, 13:15
So, kind of like challenges then.
Chris has already said there won't be unique or 'boss' items though, so having the secondary objectives give other things could be useful. Relations points, research boosts, money (since most alien gear is sold at mission end, extra loot comes under this), having the secondary objectives intact giving a global morale bonus for the mission, all of these are usable bonuses.

anotherdevil
11-04-2011, 22:03
Or some new topic or boost to stats (understanding how they live gives you a boost to killing them, etc.)

xxdanlongxx
11-04-2011, 22:13
Or some new topic or boost to stats (understanding how they live gives you a boost to killing them, etc.)

That's a great idea. Maybe you discover some medical info on their database.

Chris
11-05-2011, 15:50
The basic idea behind the secondary objectives is that you get bonuses to your score - and the mission score is added directly to (or subtracted from) the relations score of the nation where it occurs.

This is distinct from the primary objectives, of which there can be multiple for each mission. These are mission critical and completion or failure of them will cause corresponding mission success or failure.

Secondary objectives would be protecting VIP civilians etc. We've not formally implemented them yet. We're open to suggestions as to what they should be - but we can't have any long-term effects arising from these objectives. Relations with the nation in question, a cash sum, or perhaps even a global morale boost are possible, but I don't think a research boost (new projects) would be a good idea. Nor would stat boosts.

Leto
11-05-2011, 18:29
This sounds very interesting and a awesome addition to the game, I love it when you can raise the level of difficulty for yourself just based on extra objectives that actually rewards you for it.

I think it would be cool to get bonuses for not destroying structures as well. What if there was some awesome reward or alien tech inside of a building that got destroyed if you blew up the walls?
Hah, so far for Disruptor Pulse Launcher nukefest on alien colonies in Terror form the Deep :p This is a prime example of raising difficulty for yourself, this could potentially make the game WAY harder, which is always nice !

Chris
11-05-2011, 18:40
Well the actual alien technology tiles are recoverable, just like in X-Com. If you go into a UFO blazing away and destroy everything, you won't have an awful lot to recover. But if you capture it intact...

We've gone further than X-Com in the sense that all the alien tiles have an Alien Alloys and Alenium content, so even destroying relatively pointless parts of the UFO still damages the amount of recoverable materials.

deelad
11-05-2011, 19:22
Just a few ideas for secondary objectives:

Rescue a Pilot
This could occur during a UFO recovery mission if one of your interceptors is shot down during a battle where the UFO is also downed.

Aid Local Forces
Possibly during a terror mission or landed UFO, some of the local forces could be pinned down. Getting them out alive would obviously provide support from them during the mission and possibly provide a little relations boost (probably the same or slightly higher than saving a civillian).

Protect/Do Not Destroy Building
I'm unsure about this as, since I came accross this game after paypal messed up pre-orders, I have not seen what building types are available. Anyway I was thinking that some buildings would be deemed more important, such as:

Churches (As they are a symbol of hope for some, they would boost morale if saved, or lower it if destroyed/badly damaged)

Town/City Hall (Since they house government employees, this could slightly improve relations if left intact, or reduce relations if destroyed/badly damaged)

As I said, I am unsure as to what kind of buildings have been implemented but there could be lots possible 'important' buildings. Others could include Hospitals for obvious reasons, Farms as food would likely become scarce in an alien invasion etc etc.

Retrieve Item
If there are missions in a military installment for example, there could be something of importance (maybe launch codes or a weapon cache) which, if recovered, the military would reward you with money or possibly 1 above average soldier becomes available to buy as the military have decided to make him available to you, although this would be fairly rare as to not unbalance the game.
To recover the item it must be picked up by one of your xenonauts and either held at the end of the mission or dropped inside the chinook.

Thats about all I can think of for now but ill post anymore that come to mind.

Gazz
11-05-2011, 21:07
Sec. Objective: Investigate a certain type of alien.

Completed by capturing a live specimen of that kind.

Alternative: A scanner "gun".
Basically a video camera / Star Trek Tricorder of sorts.
You "shoot" the right alien a number of times to complete the objective.

Leto
11-06-2011, 12:34
Well the actual alien technology tiles are recoverable, just like in X-Com. If you go into a UFO blazing away and destroy everything, you won't have an awful lot to recover. But if you capture it intact...

We've gone further than X-Com in the sense that all the alien tiles have an Alien Alloys and Alenium content, so even destroying relatively pointless parts of the UFO still damages the amount of recoverable materials.

The great news keeps on coming, wicked ! I'm completely into that amount of detail, ow yeah !

Loki45
11-07-2011, 14:31
Is it a possibility that you find new objectives while in a mission? I think it would be cool to have something happen during a mission that would give you the opportunity to pursue an additional objective such as rescuing a civilian hostage, the opportunity to capture an unusual alien life form, or even rescue an alien who wants to defect to the other side.

Betuor
11-08-2011, 17:37
Also for example on regular UFO recovery missions, you can capture and hold the UFO for 5 turns, rather than having to run around and find every last alien on the battlefield

I totally hated when you got all of your men (and women) into a huge butt ufo and kill all of the aliens in it and you find out there is still one outside.

Sathra
11-09-2011, 03:18
And it was one you shot in the 2nd turn and it woke up 3 turns ago and is in the middle of the forest ><

Eternal
11-10-2011, 17:11
how abot give missions like old x-com terror from the deep "shipping routes"
or combine new like one battle in one huge bulding,factory,hospital

Sathra
11-11-2011, 10:36
Possible but not in 2 parts. That was a large part of the tedium of the TFTD ship-terror missions. That and how utterly cramped, nerve-wracking/boring they were.

Nuttss
11-11-2011, 10:39
yea, ship missions were anoying. Espeicaly with the bugs where you had to find all the equipment and move it to the transition site on have it on your agents so it would carry through to the end of the mission.

NoIdidnt
03-09-2012, 01:29

Does this mean that after we start useing the new scout UFO look that we will see less materials recovered becouse the wings are gone?

or were the wings and hull ever included in the alien tiles and recoverable materials stated above?

seems like i remember it being said that the basic ufo structure was going to be indestructable in the ground battles, just wondering if even the indestructable parts drop materials too?
if thats true then no matter how bad you blow up a ufo in ground battles at leaste you would get something out of it. :)

Gazz
03-09-2012, 10:22
We're open to suggestions as to what they should be - but we can't have any long-term effects arising from these objectives. Relations with the nation in question, a cash sum, or perhaps even a global morale boost are possible, but I don't think a research boost (new projects) would be a good idea. Nor would stat boosts.
One possibility for a reward would be that for completing a secondary objective you add +1 to a global counter.
The counter is capped at 5-6 max and is decreased by 1 every day.

When generating new recruits, you add rnd(0 to counter) to their starting stats.

If you (as a Xenonauts commander) "go the extra mile", so do the supporting nations when screening their soldiers.

Slam Bus Rodan
03-09-2012, 11:51
Secondary objectives would be protecting VIP civilians etc. We've not formally implemented them yet. We're open to suggestions as to what they should be....

City Mayor
Foreign Dignitaries
Presidential Motorcade (if in D.C.)
Bus load of tourists
Hospital

Gazz
03-09-2012, 12:07
I think he was talking about secondary objective types, not just the name / title assigned to the persons to be protected. =P

Something like...

- Find and kill an alien collaborateur who is disguised as a civilian.

- Find and destroy some kind of beacon the aliens used to mark the position.

- Find out what exactly the aliens wanted from that particular site.

- Find and acquire recordings of the alien attack, like from ATM machines or security cameras.

- Dispatch a team to an area of the map where noncombatants have set up a fortified position that is under attack.
This one is very hard to implement without a suppression mechanic because there would be no explanation for why the aliens didn't simply storm the holdout already.
If you can only stop aliens by flat out killing them, offense is the only defense that works.

Gauddlike
03-09-2012, 20:39
That depends on how good the AI is.
If they know when they are outgunned, and react accordingly, then you could arrive to find them engaging with heavy weapons from long range while trying to stay in cover.
Once they take down enough defenders they would be able to move in as the balance had been tipped in their favour.

Gorlom
03-09-2012, 21:29
Maybe barricades of "spaceship hulls" can keep the people that have barricaded themselves safe, while the aliens roam around outside trying to find a way in (and occationally shooting at the barricades)? Or possibly have destructible barricades in 4+ layers so it takes a while for the aliens to shoot their way through em.

anotherdevil
03-10-2012, 03:47
If the aliens like chrysalids do infect people to make zombies, then it could be cool to have all of the civilians captured and stuck in one building (as in they were rounded up) waiting to be infected. Then you get bonuses for each that you save (and then don't have to kill) =p

But at the same time, you know that over exposing yourself wont be smart, because those creatures will be nearby...

Gauddlike
03-10-2012, 07:34
Some of the civvies may be infected already, you may just not be able to tell until it advances.

anotherdevil
03-10-2012, 09:47
exactly...!

GoodGuyEddy
03-10-2012, 11:42
Objective: Sneak in to the alien base, and spray paint all their shirts red. Then it will be an easy victory.

Patupi
03-10-2012, 14:45
"Jim Jim! The extra's strayed out of camera shot!"
Ear piercing scream from off camera.
"There goes another red shirt!"

amjh
03-10-2012, 19:33
Maybe terror missions could be reinvented with secondary objectives? The main objective would be to survive on site for some time as a proof of effort, with the enemy AI adjusted to send soldiers towards the landing site. Actually defeating all the enemies and protecting civilians would be changed into secondary objectives with high rewards. The story explanation would be that you're proving the enemies can be fought in a situation you can't win yet.

NoIdidnt
03-10-2012, 19:40
Cant win yet?
If i have no hope of winning a battle there is no way i would send in my troops as it would meen they would all end up dead!

the primary mission of any terror mission would always be to save civs. as the primary mission for the aliens is to destroy/capture/cause fear in the general population.

Gorlom
03-10-2012, 19:57
Amjh that doeesnt make sense. The whole point of terror missions is to terrorize civilians and to lower their trust in the Xenonaut organisation. It's not a direct strike at the Xenonauts. Frankly I wouldn't like that change to terror missions. The aliens goal during terror missions should be killing civilians and wrecking havok.

Your suggestion works better on secondary bases or defending allied bases/small supply depoes. (Do not think the second or third option is ingame or even suggested to be ingame). Would be nice to have a second type of base defense mission. You wouldn't even have to mark out allied bases on the geoscape. They would show up just like terror missions

amjh
03-10-2012, 20:03
I didn't mean it would end in losing your troops, either you would be allowed to leave eventually, or the enemies would leave as they have done enough damage. The idea would be that you'd need to hold the ground in the early game, and once you got the technology to properly fight back you'd be able to achieve more complete victory. Just being there would only be enough to prove you're not just sitting on the money the funding nations are giving you. Defeating enough enemies would either be enough for a complete victory, or prevent the rest from leaving if a time limit on the mission is used.

Gorlom
03-10-2012, 20:22
I didn't mean it would end in losing your troops, either you would be allowed to leave eventually, or the enemies would leave as they have done enough damage. The idea would be that you'd need to hold the ground in the early game, and once you got the technology to properly fight back you'd be able to achieve more complete victory. Just being there would only be enough to prove you're not just sitting on the money the funding nations are giving you. Defeating enough enemies would either be enough for a complete victory, or prevent the rest from leaving if a time limit on the mission is used.
I don't think noIdidnt assumed you would lose your soldiers on the mission, just saying that he doesnt like the idea. As i read it if given an unwinnable scenario he as a hypothetical commander wouldn't send his soldiers in there in the first place.
I don't like the underlined Idea
I dont agree with the bolded assumption

amjh
03-10-2012, 20:35
Why do you think the idea wouldn't work? The fact you need to prove yourself to the funding nations shows that they don't have infinite faith in you. Going into the middle of the worst attacks with inferior technology, you couldn't expect to just defeat the enemies, but fighting them would be the only way to prove it's possible. If you were deciding on the funding, would you trust more an ally that sits and does nothing when you suffer, or one that doesn't win every fight but shows progress?

NoIdidnt
03-10-2012, 21:23
I don't think noIdidnt assumed you would lose your soldiers on the mission, just saying that he doesnt like the idea. As i read it if given an unwinnable scenario he as a hypothetical commander wouldn't send his soldiers in there in the first place.
I don't like the underlined Idea
I dont agree with the bolded assumption

yep! you are right about the way i meant it Gorlom, if a battle is unwinnable in a terror mission i see only three outcomes possible.
the aliens kill the civs. becouse you dont send troops.
the aliens kill the civs and your troops becouse its unwinnable.
the aliens leave the battle becouse they have had to many losses or done enough damage. this is where i have a problem, first as far as i have seen the aliens dont care about losses as long as they complete their mission, and second their mission isnt complete until all
civs on the map are dead or transformed into zombies?:D which to me would translate into a complete loss for xenonauts.

a complete loss for xeno would be a bad rep. hit from the nations.

In the end the way i see it, the best option for a commander would be to destroy the site with missiles.

amjh
03-10-2012, 21:44
I always got the impression that the original X-com, and xenonauts as a successor, were about a desperate fight and eventual success against a supposedly superior enemy. To me, it just doesn't seem plausible to expect that you'd just steamroll all opposition from the start in such conflict. In such situation, every encounter would be considered a potential loss, and proving that resistance is possible would be the first milestone. For that, getting there and killing a few enemies would be a lot better that hiding and waiting until they go away. If there's technical reasons why it wouldn't work from a gameplay perspective, I'd accept that.

Gorlom
03-10-2012, 21:50
Why do you think the idea wouldn't work? The fact you need to prove yourself to the funding nations shows that they don't have infinite faith in you. Going into the middle of the worst attacks with inferior technology, you couldn't expect to just defeat the enemies, but fighting them would be the only way to prove it's possible. If you were deciding on the funding, would you trust more an ally that sits and does nothing when you suffer, or one that doesn't win every fight but shows progress?
I don't think it would be fun from a gameplay point of view. Unwinnable scenarios seldom are, thats why James T Kirk cheated =P. Terror missions are fine and fun as they are. And I simply don't agree that it is showing progress.

If you want me to motivate it with immersion (instead of just what I think would be good for the game) here goes: What you are suggesting is that nations reward an organisation for failure, for not being able to produce any results but saying "hey, I tried".

From a point of view inside the organisation or anyone on the ground the funding nations might seem ungrateful or stupid for not considering all the circumstanses that was present.
From an investors point of view you need to have riskassesments and clear evidence showing that you're not beeing screwed out of your money. Just showing up at the scene just won't cut it imo. How do I as an investor know you as a organisation didnt land a kilometer or two away from any action and just smoke ciggarettes untill the noise stated to die down and then swoop in to "save" (read pressure into supporting your version of events) any survivours without meeting any resistance?

amjh
03-10-2012, 22:05
I suggested adapting the AI to force combat in such situations; in the situation I'd imagine that the organization is in the beginning of the game, some dead enemies around the site of attack would be a lot better than just waiting and giving up. From gameplay perspective, the point of the idea is to introduce more varied tactics.

Gorlom
03-10-2012, 22:24
In what situations? Are you talking about the aliens rushing Xenonauts in early battles untill they get better tech? Wouldnt that just throw the learning curve out the window? And would they automaticly know when you have better weapons equipped? or would they react in battle when you fire off that laser blast? Would they remember it to the next battle, even if you killed every alien on the battle field?

From a player perspective you still haven't conviced me that this would be fun. Just different. I'm sensing an "Aftershock effect", trying to diverge from the standard X-com concept without really considering if it changes what made X-com so fun in the first place. What exactly is it that you think would be fun about it?

amjh
03-10-2012, 22:52
When fighting battles above your level, you'd need to fight defensively, and you'd only need to fight the part of the enemies that target you, the exact amount depending on how the AI is configured. That would achieve okay performance. Once you advance in tech, you can take more offensive approach, and face all off the enemies on the map, giving you a bonus in the final score if successful. As new types of enemies come, what is above your level and what is not changes. In the end, we would have both current offensive terror missions and new more defensive ones. The game would need to be balanced to work with that, but balancing takes work even without it.
If everything is configured correctly, playing defensively would be easier, but would only work in short term.

Gorlom
03-10-2012, 23:57
I've not really understood what you have wanted up to now, and I probably still dont fully get it. Or atleast not how it should be implemented. Quite frankly, I think it would be easier to just seperate it from regular terror missions and make it it's own mission type.

The whole tech advancement thing seems unneccesarily complicated to me. A pain for both the developer and the player.

amjh
03-11-2012, 00:50
With tech advancement, I only meant what was in original x-com and possibly what comes from expanding that, going from basic weapons that barely work against the weakest enemies to the weapons and other equipment that work against anything you'll face.
A lot of the idea relies on the player advancement, and the fact that what success means changes with progress; where you might get a minor victory at one point, you should get a major one at another.

Gorlom
03-11-2012, 06:22
I'm still not sure if you think that would be fun or if you are just trying to fit how you think it would work realisticly into the game. It completly throws off and complicates any balanceing. And I have no idea what it does to the learningcurve.

Gauddlike
03-11-2012, 09:01
Ignore the references to terror missions in the suggestion and it makes more sense.
If you have an assault on an area (lets say a friendly nations airfield or something along those lines) and they have reinforcements on route then a timed mission would fit.
If the objectives are to hold out for a set amount of turns OR kill everything then you can choose to play it defensively or offensively.
It would probably have to be a rare mission type where the aliens have sent a larger ship, or more advanced troops, than are normal for the wave.
You can risk taking them on in the hope of a bigger reward or leave the locals to it.

The downsides are that AI in games is rarely up to the task of making these kinds of defensive missions fun.
Being forced to play a mission for a set number of turns can also feel restrictive, especially when you are trying to get on with something else and are only doing the mission because you can't afford not to.
This is even more of an issue if you are outclassed and steadily losing your best troops.

This is kind of drifting away from the secondary objectives though now and into new missions.

Gorlom
03-11-2012, 09:35
As a gamemechanic I see that working out better, and the motivation seems more reasonable to me. I'm just concerned that amjh seems to be after the whole "hopeless untill better tech" feel more then the function. If that is the case then he probably will keep pulling in a different direction.

Gauddlike
03-11-2012, 09:58
That's the beauty of a custom difficulty setting and editable xml files, you can make the game as hard on yourself as you want to ;)

xPDxTV
03-11-2012, 10:13
That's the beauty of a custom difficulty setting and editable xml files, you can make the game as hard on yourself as you want to ;)

Unless your like me and without step by step instructions will screw everything up trying to edit the files because i have absolutely no idea what i'm doing xD

Gazz
03-11-2012, 11:21
If the objectives are to hold out for a set amount of turns OR kill everything then you can choose to play it defensively or offensively.
It would probably have to be a rare mission type where the aliens have sent a larger ship, or more advanced troops, than are normal for the wave.
Some supposedly "secondary" missions just make a lot more sense as primary objectives.
A lot less messy, too, because I don't think the maps are big enough to pack them full of objectives.

What could work:

On the Geoscape you get to see the overall mission type, like Terror.

When your soldiers get to the scene, the objective gets more detailed. One time you may have to hold an evacuation area while civilians run towards it, other times you may have to assault and clear a bus depot or gas station and keep it "alive" for x turns. Or your orders are to simply sweep the area.
That way missions would not always play the same, which is the whole reason why secondary objectives were brought up in the first place.

Some missions types like UFO crash site recovery are a lot harder to create "varied" but even there it's not impossible.
If the UFO has crashed close to a city, you may end up with a defensive primary objective instead of just recovering the UFO bits. Another time, civilians have gotten to the crash site and have been zombified. Now you have to stop them from getting away. After x turns they start running towards the map edge...

I just think that more varied primary objectives are a lot easier to implement properly than an entire system of multiple objectives on the relatively small Xeno maps.
Better to do one thing right...

Gauddlike
03-11-2012, 12:08
True enough.
Even the crash sites can have a different objectives depending on some factors.
Maybe killing/capturing the highest rank would be an objective if the ship was too damaged to capture.
Certain ship types, like terror ships for example, might have a certain room that needs to be destroyed or certain alien types that cannot be allowed to escape.
A little variation can go a long way.

Gazz
03-11-2012, 12:49
With a single objective per mission (but variance as to the exact kind of objective) it will be possible to balance the number of actors on the map.
You can have aliens, alien heavy weapons, civilians, terran military units... but if you create the actors for multiple objectives on a map, you may end up with trying to protect civilians from a full blown heavy assault force - where your own soldiers have trouble even surviving, much less protecting anyone.

With primary objective variance you can assign a template for each mission type, generating a "protect civilians" mission with 60% regular aliens and 5% alien heavies. (% of the ship's regular complement)
An assault on an alien troop ship could get you 120% regular aliens and 100% heavies.
It's a relatively simple way to create different scenarios, depending on the tactical difficulty of the objective.

That way is workable with procedurally generated missions.
Real scripted missions with interesting secondary objectives are far better suited to hand-crafted individual maps where the entire scenario is balanced for playability.

anotherdevil
03-11-2012, 18:20
off topic a bit, but with some of the larger ships, if you crash them, or even destroy them, it might be nice if you instead of going for the main hip just have to attack the escape pod, or, go into a town that had the 'seeding' pods ejected into it (just made that up, but basically they'd be chrysalid containing pods...). So fewer in number, but they'd already be there as well as infected civies... More of a purge mission than anything else

mrsisk
03-12-2012, 21:34
I'm w/Gazz on the primary vs secondary mission thing. And Gauddlike stated what I was thinking (remove "terror mission" from your thinking and the idea becomes more logical). But it's only logical as a primary mission type. Hold a certain site, or set of buildings, or hill or whatever until an air strike on the enemy staging ground can be brought to bear. That kind of thing. I really like the idea of primary missions to protect an evacuation area until civies can get out.

I also like the idea of secondary missions based on specific research needs. Like after a new alien type (or weapon type) is encountered you'd get secondary missions to recover them (live in the case of alien types, undamaged in the case of weapons). I don't think that would really cause a balancing issue, it would act more like a nag screen to give you a hint of what you need to do in order to open up research trees.

But primary mission types is where we really need new variance, because the original XCOM really only had UFO recovery, terror missions, base assaults and XCOM base defense mission types. In the long haul at the end of the game, it became very repetitive.

Gauddlike
03-12-2012, 22:03
Yeah secondary objectives as reminders makes sense.
If this is the first time you have met Androns then the secondary objective could be to retrieve a corpse for examination.
Maybe you have already performed an autopsy so the objective would be to recover a live specimen.
If one of them takes a shot at you with a weapon you have never seen before then retrieving that may become a priority.
Not essential to the mission but something that would be useful to the whitecoats back at base.

Those objectives would need to update during the mission though or you would be able to tell what you were going to be coming up against just by looking at the mission brief.

If the system could track your base stores then it could add in recovery objectives depending on what you were short of.
Recovering a ufo power source intact if you are short of Alenium, capture a ufo with less than 50% damage if you are short of alien alloys etc.

Randomising the secondaries so you can have two or three a mission would be nice.
Even if you desperately need 5 different weapons and all of the alien types on that particular mission you would only want a couple of objectives or they would start to get in the way.

Gazz
03-13-2012, 11:06
Those objectives would need to update during the mission though or you would be able to tell what you were going to be coming up against just by looking at the mission brief.
Actually, that's a very good idea.

A "grab this" mission popup when you encounter XYZ for the very first time.
If you're quick off the mark and manage to secure XYZ on this mission... bonus points.

That can be alien gear, a new alien species to catch alive, an UFO datachip thingy...

Would make the missions seem more alive without requiring a complicated multiple-objective system as well as a massive increase of the balancing work.

Another possible popup mission would be encountering a few civilians on site when not expecting any.
(The typical First Victims™ that take a look at the crash site in any alien movie)
You're supposed to protect them anyway so it's basically redundant but that's not the point.
The mission seems more involved if you're getting a new mission objective on the fly...